Holderness Media has released Caramel – a stereo distortion, crusher and fattener effect, designed for Audiobus and Inter-App Audio.
According to the developer, ‘Caramel is perfect for adding lo-fi grit and punch to drums, bass, synths, guitar and more.’
Caramel features two distinct modes:
- Perform mode is focused around four XY touch pads. Touch to control Crunch, Sizzle, Crush and Bite independently for left and right channels.
- Tweak mode features large expressive sliders and additional effect parameters, allowing you to fine tune your sound.
- Control Left and Right channel Crunch, Crush, Girth, SIzzle independently for interesting stereo effects.
- Girth parameter adds subtle to punishing low end boost to drums and bass.
- Multiple stereo output modes including Normal Stereo, Wide Stereo, and Sum to Mono.
- Wide range of colorful lo-fi distortion tones are possible, from subtle grit and punch to absolute digital wreckage.
- Audiobus 2 compatible with state saving
- Inter-app Audio compatible
- Core MIDI compatible, works with any MIDI controller via MIDI Learn
In addition to Audiobus and Inter-App Audio, Caramel can process external hardware by connecting a professional USB audio interface to the iPad.
Caramel supports Core MIDI via the Camera Connection kit, USB MIDI interfaces, Virtual MIDI and WiFi connections. The MIDI Learn function lets you assign your MIDI controller’s knobs and sliders to control Caramel’s effect parameters.
Here’s a demo of Caramel being used for beat processing:
The next video looks at using Caramel with synths:
- requires iOS 7.0 or later
- iPad Mini/iPad 2 or newer
- Audiobus 2 compatible (Effect, state saving)
- Inter-App audio compatible (effect node)
- compatible with USB audio interfaces
- Core MIDI compatible
Caramel works with just about any professional iOS compatible USB audio interfaces. Here is a list of interfaces that have been tested and verified to be compatible:
- Apogee Jam
- Apogee Mic
- Apogee ONE for iPad/Mac
- Apogee DUET for iPad/Mac
- Apogee QUARTET for iPad/Mac
- iRig HD
- iRig iMic
- Focusrite Scarlett series (*requires USB hub)
- Alesis io2
- Alesis IO Dock
- Behringer UCA202
- many more
Caramel is available now for US $4.99 in the App Store.