Developer Jakob Penca has released STROM – described as ‘an incredibly fun sampler’ for the iPad. It also offers tight integration with the Elektron Analog Rytm.
STROM lets you record up to 10 seconds of audio, slice and sequence it and resample it to create something new.
The interface lets you sequence your source material in unique ways. You can always resample what you play, and you can even edit slices while you are playing them.
Here’s a demo of STROM in action:
- Copy audio from any app, using AudioShare and AudioCopy/Paste.
- Share your sliced samples with your friends! Copy them back to any other app for further processing.
- STROM’s full power is unleashed if you connect your Elektron Analog Rytm drum computer to your iPad (and buy the Rytm In-App Purchase Upgrade)
- For one, you can easily transfer samples to your Rytm using MIDI Sample Dump Standard. STROM can also send all slices as separate files. For example, load a vocal phrase, quickly slice it up, and send the individual “ooohs” and “aaahs” as one-shots. Slices are automatically numbered.
- Using the CTL-AL function, inspired by the legendary Machinedrum, you can tweak sounds on multiple tracks at once. For example, sweep the filter on all (or some) tracks. Or change the sample slot for all tracks (or less crazy, limit it to a few tracks of your choice). All sound and trig parameters, as well as track levels, are available to be tweaked with CTL-AL.
- CTL-AL has UNDO, so you can instantly return to your previous drum kit settings.
You can also use CTL-AL to create parameter lock automation in your current pattern!
- It lets you squeeze the wildest sounds out of the Rytm. The Randomizer gives you detailed control over which tracks and parameters should be affected, and by how much. It isn’t really “random”, but uses your current Kit as the basis. You have intuitive and detailed control over whether to just shift the sound a little, or mangle everything completely insanely.
- Pattern Generator: It’s main deal is an intuitive interface for quickly creating rhythmic patterns. Rhythms are programmed into the Rytm’s sequencer instantly. Leveraging the musical Euclidean algorithm, it generates cyclic patterns that are not random, but follow a logic which is perceived by most humans as actual groove.
- In addition, there are special shift rotation tools which are effective for creating syncopations and breaks.
- Kit and Pattern Pasteboard: This gives you multiple copy & paste slots for Kits and Patterns. You can quickly capture the current rhythm or sound inside one of STROM’s four pasteboard slots, tweak everything wildly, and instantly pop the original data back to your drum machine. Incredibly powerful for playing out live.
STROM is available now in the App Store for US $4.99. Rytm Upgrade is an In-App-Purchase. Elektron Analog Rytm is a hardware instrument which must be purchased separately. A USB-Lightning Camera adapter is required for the MIDI connection.
If you’ve used STROM, leave a comment and let us know what you think of it!