2015 NAMM Show: Shure has introduced the MOTIV microphone line, a new range of microphones that is designed to be easy to use with Mac, PC or Apple iOS devices.
All four members of the new MOTIV range are Apple MFi (made for iPhone, iPod, or iPad) certified devices, including three condenser models (the MV5, MV88 stereo model, and MV51 large-diaphragm model) and a digital audio interface (MVi) that can connect directly to any iOS device without additional adapters or connection kits.
Here’s Shure’s intro video:
“The MOTIV range was conceived to offer everyone the means to record high-quality sound directly onto mobile and USB devices.” says Shure Senior Product Manager Wolfgang Bilz.
The MOTIV Line
- MV5 Digital Condenser Microphone: The MV5 is designed for recording vocals and acoustic instruments, or for use with Skype, and comes equipped with three DSP modes, Micro-B to USB and Micro-B to Lightning cables. Engineered for quick and easy portable use, the MOTIV MV5 has a custom tuned microphone capsule and a built-in headphone output for real-time monitoring. It’s available in grey and black and ships complete with a detachable desktop stand and integrated thread mount compatible with any quarter-inch standard camera tripod.
- MV88 iOS Digital Stereo Condenser Microphone: The MV88 allows users of any Apple iPhone, iPod, or iPad equipped with a Lightning connector to capture high-quality field recordings on the go. The mid-side microphone element is situated on a hinged, rotating mount for flexible repositioning – even in video applications, and its five built-in DSP preset modes, plus 5-band EQ, stereo width control, and other advanced features are easily accessed through the free ShurePlus MOTIV Mobile Recording App.
- MV51 Digital Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone: Specifically engineered for high-quality digital audio capture, the all-digital MV51 connects to any iOS device, Mac, or PC, and comes with Micro-B to Lightning and Micro-B to USB cables. In addition to its five DSP preset modes for recording, the MV51 includes the industry’s first touch panel control for quick access to gain, phantom power, mute, and headphone volume adjustments. The one-inch capsule element is easily monitored in real-time through the built-in headphone output, and the vintage design includes an integrated kickstand for desktop use, which quickly adapts for use with standard mic stands.
- MVi Digital Audio Interface: The low-profile MVi connects any XLR microphone or quarter-inch (6.3 mm) jack instrument (guitar, bass, or keyboard) to an iOS device, Mac, or PC for high-quality audio capture. In addition to the five built-in DSP preset modes, the MVi also includes Micro-B to Lightning and Micro-B to USB cables, as well as Shure’s onboard touch panel control for quick access to gain, mute, and headphone volume adjustments.
- ShurePlus MOTIV Mobile Recording App: The free Recording App for iOS devices allows real-time adjustments for the best performance. The interface includes selectable DSP preset modes, microphone gain adjustment, and a stereo width control that adjusts the microphone pick-up pattern for optimal results, depending on the sound source and surrounding environment.
Shure says the MOTIV line will ship Summer 2015. See the company site for details.