Sony Classical has announced a new release, Bach To Moog, an album that’s expected to be the first created with Moog Music’s reissued System 55 modular synthesizer.
At the 2015 NAMM Show, Moog announced that it was reissuing three iconic Moog Modular synthesizer systems: the System 55, the System 35 and the Model 15. The three systems were originally introduced by Moog in 1973.
Bach To Moog – produced by composer, arranger and producer Craig Leon – recalls the 1968 Walter/Wendy Carlos album, Switched On Bach, which was many listeners’ introduction to the possibilities of synthesizers.
The career of Craig Leon, right and above, has bridged the worlds of classical and popular music. He’s produced albums by The Ramones, Blondie, The Bangles, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Berlin, Shonen Knife and others. In the world of classical music, Leon has produced and arranged classical albums by Joshua Bell, Sir James Galway, Luciano Pavarotti and others.
Leon is also known for his own electronic compositions, including Nommos and The Anthology of Interplanetary Folk Music.
With Bach to Moog, Leon builds on his experience in classical music, electronic music and synthesizers. In addition to the Moog System 55, the arrangements feature British classical violinist Jennifer Pike and the Sinfonietta Cracovia.
Bach To Moog is schedule for release on May 5, 2015.
Bach To Moog Tracklist:
- Preludio from the Violin Partita No. 3 in E Major BWV 1006
- “Jesu Meine Freude” from the cantata “Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben” BWV 147
- Arioso (Sinfonia) from the cantata “Ich Steh Mit Einem Fuß im Grabe” BWV 156
- Toccata and Fugue in D Minor BWV 565
- Siciliano from the Violin Sonata No. 4 in C Minor BWV 1017
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G Major BWV 1049 Movement 1: Allegro
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G Major BWV 1049 Movement 2: Andante
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G Major BWV 1049 Movement 3: Presto
- Air from the Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major BWV 1068
- Aria from the Goldberg Variations BWV 988
- 14 Canons on the Goldberg Ground BWV 1087
- Craig Leon – Moog Synthesizer
- Jennifer Pike – Solo Violin
- Sinfonietta Cracovia