Musikmesse 2015: Pittsburgh Modular has officially introduced the Patch Box modular effects pedal case.
According to the company, the Pittsburgh Modular Patch Box ‘redefines modular synthesis around the venerable stomp box’.
The Patch Box is a fully patchable, customizable effects pedal. The open architecture allows the patch box to create unique effects unattainable with standard, fixed signal path guitar pedals.
The Patch Box is available as a fully customizable, empty enclosure or as a pre-configured set of Complete and Core effects systems. Complete systems provide a fully curated modular effects system utilizing all the available space of the Patch Box Enclosure. Core systems offer a core effect and patchable modulation with room to expand and customize.
The Patch Box Enclosure
The Patch Box is not just another empty eurorack case. It ships packed with the functionality of five highly tuned modules integrated into the heavy duty steel enclosure.
The enclosure offers true bypass switching. Once the Patch Box is engaged, the audio signal passes through a preamp with very high headroom and a pair of fully buffered outputs. Custom engineered soft limiting circuitry built into the preamp adds everything from clean gain to ‘sweet distortion’, without overdriving the modules within the Patch Box.
Dual, assignable expression pedal inputs allow the Patch Box to integrate 3rd party expression pedals anywhere into the signal path. This allows for realtime foot control of any voltage controllable parameter. Or split the signal from the foot controller and control two parameters at once.
Dual, assignable A/B footswitches expand signal routing options. Perfect for use as on/off switches or to flip between two signals, the footswitches can be patched up to enable/disable individual modules or route audio and control voltages. Patch a modulation source such as an LFO or external expression pedal through the footswitch to enable or disable the modulation while playing. Patch the outputs of two effects into one of the footswitches to bounce between effects. With two independent, patchable footswitches, there are countless options for realtime signal routing.
The preamp has dual buffered outputs to allow for complex signal routing, but for patching a single modulation or audio source into two destinations, the patchable signal splitter is a perfect solution. Also known as a multiple, the signal splitter has one input and two outputs allowing any signal to be routed to two destinations.
The last stage of the Patch Box signal path is a master output level control. Adjust the output signal level to connect with a wide range of devices.
The Patch Box is available as an empty case, ready to customize with a huge selection of Pittsburgh Modular, Dwarfcraft, or other compatible eurorack format modules. The Patch Box is also available in a number of preconfigured ‘Complete’ and ‘Core’ effects systems that highlight the wide range of Pittsburgh Modular and Dwarfcraft effects modules. Stunning filters, character rich analog delays, sweeping phase shifters, nasty distortion, and much more are available to interact with and manipulate in entirely new ways.
- The Time Box Complete is a modular time machine driven by the Pittsburgh voltage controllable Analog Replicator delay and Reverb modules ,paired with a dual modulation source, LPG multi-mode VCA, filter and lopass gate module, and a dual signal splitter. The expandable Time Box Core distills time travel to the Analog Replicator and dual modulation source with 20hp of space available to customize with Pittsburgh Modular, Dwarfcraft, Studio Electronics, or other compatible eurorack modules.
- The Filter Box Complete attacks with a pair of highly tuned filters and analog signal crushing. The state variable Filter module provides creamy, voltage controlled low pass, high pass, band pass, and notch filters while the LPG module adds an aggressive, modern filter, VCA, and lopass gate. Destruction comes compliments of Crush, a voltage controlled analog downsampler signal smashing module. Modulation and control are handled with a set of modules including an Envelope Follower, dual modulation source, and dual signal splitter. The power of the Filter Box Core system comes from the flexibility of the state variable Filter, control of envelope follower, and modulation of a dual low frequency oscillator leaving 18hp to fill with more Pittsburgh Modular, Dwarfcraft, Studio Electronics, or other compatible eurorack modules.
- The Dwarf Box Complete offers signal routing between the Big Distortion Sound Machine and the Pittsburgh state variable Filter. Complex modulation is provided by the Chain Reactor, a voltage influenced, quad low frequency oscillaltor. A noise source, sample and hold, glide, and voltage inversion are included compliments of the Toolbox module. The Dwarf Box Core system includes the Dwarfcraft Big Distortion Sound Machine and a dual modulation source with 20hp of space available to customize with Pittsburgh Modular, Dwarfcraft, Studio Electronics, or other compatible eurorack modules.
- The Phase Box Complete is built on the power of a 16 stage, analog phase shifter module. The large number of phase shifting stages allows for richer phasing, deeper tremolo effects, and multiple complex modulation options. Matched with a LPG multi-mode VCA, filter and lopass gate module, dual modulation source module, and a dual signal splitter module, the Phase Box Complete is a ‘sonic labratory for signal modulation’. The Phase Box Core strips the modular phase shifter pedal down to just the essentials. A Phase Shifter module paired with a dual modulation source leaving 20hp to fill with more Pittsburgh Modular, Dwarfcraft, Studio Electronics, or other compatible eurorack modules.
Pricing and Availability
The Patch Box Enclosure will shipping to dealers in May, with a suggested retail price of $349.
Patch Box Complete and Patch Box Core systems will begin shipping in June with the suggested retail prices below:
- Time Box Core – Suggested Retail Price $779
Time Box Complete – Suggested Retail Price $1,199
- Filter Box Core – Suggested Retail Price $679
Filter Box Complete – Suggested Retail Price $1,199
- Dwarf Box Core – Suggested Retail Price $799
Dwarf Box Complete – Suggested Retail Price $1,199
- Phase Box Core – Suggested Retail Price $799
Phase Box Complete – Suggested Retail Price $1,019
See the Pittsburgh site for details.