Secret Base Design has released Music IO: MIDI over USB – a free app that lets you route MIDI via USB between iOS & Mac.
This is the MIDI-only version of Music IO, a MIDI and audio-over-USB solution for iOS. It’s fully bidirectional and near-zero latency.
This version of the app is free for a limited time.
- Send & Receive MIDI between any CoreMIDI apps over USB (Lightning or 30 pin) with no perceptible latency nor jitter
- Large sysex messages (eg. bulk dumps) handled seamlessly
- Choose “send to” ports (OSX and iOS)
- Choose “receive from” (OSX): route MIDI from anywhere to your iOS device
- BridgeClock, a ground-breaking inter-device MIDI-clock-synchronization technology, provides jitter-free sync between platforms
Here’s a video demo:
Note that the video demonstrates the paid version, which supports streaming both MIDI and audio.
Music IO is designed to work with iOS 7 or newer, and OS X 10.7 or newer. Audio is transferred in 32-bit stereo, at 44.1khz. A companion app for the Mac is required – it’s a free download.