Cockos has released Reaper 5, its multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment for Windows and Mac.
New in Reaper 5:
- FX:VST3 support, sample-accurate automation for VST3 and JSFX, FX browser improvements.
- ReaScript:API and scripting improvements, including a built-in development environment for creating and debugging scripts in LUA, EEL, or Python. Create anything from simple macros, to complex new functionality.
- Control grouping:Flexible, automatable VCA control. Link groups of track controls together at any point in the signal flow.
- Video:Many improvements to video support and performance, including real-time programmable track and item effect processing.
- FX parameter automation:Full automation and MIDI/OSC learn support for per-take FX, improved FX envelope and modulation management via the Project Bay, increased automation recording speed.
- And more:New GUI layouts, Media Explorer improvements, metronome beat patterns, Opus support, MIDI note-off editing, new volume envelope modes, new actions and API functions, and many other fixes and improvements.
Here are the details on what’s new in Cockos Reaper 5:
- massive improvements to video support
- allow user configurable video decoder priorities with per-file-extension controls
- configurable video output display latency
- dockable video window
- per-source option to not decode audio for video files
- pooled audio decoders, reducing RAM use for heavily edited videos
- project framerate is used instead of media framerate to determine display timing
- projects can now specify preferred video width/height/colorspace, resizing options
- real-time programmable (EEL) effect processors insertable as track and item FX
- support for AVFoundation video encoding/decoding on OSX 10.7+
- per-take FX automation and MIDI learn support
- browser smart folders (filter-folders)
- browser options to view JSFX by description and/or filename
- support for parameters with inverted ranges
- VST3 support, including sample-accurate automation
- inform VST plug-ins of offline rendering state, by default
- duplicating Take FX copies channel counts
- user-adjustable parameter modulation LFO phase
- added option ‘Play through selected track’
- search in subfolders
- improved accessibility/tabbing navigation
- fixed various UTF-8 issues on Windows ..
- fixed issues when using preserve-pitch and tempo-match options
- fixed MIDI/OSC action binding
- integrated development environment (IDE) for running, editing, debugging scripts
- IDE supports syntax highlighting, multiple editing panes, watch lists, structure matching, and more
- integrated Lua 5.3 scripting support
- EEL and Lua scripts can query various information (incl. MIDI/OSC input values) via get_action_context()
- EEL/Lua graphics/UI API (gfx*) extensions
- toggle state support (script toolbar buttons can have on/off states)
- increased automation recording speed by 3x
- internal changes and performance improvements to FX parameter automation
- more consistent behavior when changing FX preset
- new volume envelope mode that mimics track fader scaling
- sample-accurate automation support
- added support for inverted slider ranges
- editor improvements (scrollbars, multiple editing panes, Ctrl+Mousewheel font size change)
- fixed potential crash from gfx_circle() with bad parameters .
- support Ambisonic WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE .wav files
- improved zero crossing navigation
- improved tab-to-transient behavior
- improved support for chained OGG Vorbis files
- extra fancy new theme
- many layout choices for different uses (small, large, meters, live recording, media, item)
- better track panel and item tinting appearance
- language packs can specify scale for dialog windows using (for example) 5CA1E00000000000=xsc ysc
- all codec (wav, video, mp3, etc) dialog boxes and related strings can now be translated
- new template LangPack
- configurable beat patterns
- improved count-in behavior/quality
- do not automatically enable MIDI vol/pan faders when creating MIDI-only sends/receives .
- note-off velocity support in piano roll and list view editors
- added mouse modifiers to edit note edges ignoring selection
- changed default note edge mouse modifiers to match default media item edge modifiers
- optionally display project tempo and time signature markers in the ruler
- updated default worker thread scheduling logic for lower CPU use
- disabled anticipative FX processing on tracks with open MIDI editors, by default
- automatically disable anticipative FX in routed-to tracks for open MIDI editors
- new tab for managing FX parameter envelopes, modulation, and MIDI learn
- fixed replace FX in project .
- fixed source/item/fx deletion and undo issues .
- improved touch-automation behavior for various check/combo/edit controls
- improved ReaInsert behavior in many real world scenarios (PDC, looping, heavy load)
- improved display for frame grid and HH:MM:SS:FF
- absolute frames time display mode
- added theme tweak window (and removed outdated preferences pane)
- improved theme color tinting support (requires ‘version 5’ in rtconfig, themes can override tint/peaks preferences via rtconfig ‘tinttcp’ and ‘peaksedges’)
- scrollbar_2 and scrollbar_3 images can override scrollbar images for arrange and MIDI editor respectively
- better behavior when changing time signatures
- improved behavior when inserting/removing time in project (fixed auto-create of new time signature markers)
- improved time signature behavior when moving/copying regions
- options to include envelope point selection in undo state
- improved FX envelope undo behavior
- added propagate take and propagate item actions
- support for up to 512 channels of input and output
- optionally include media explorer databases
- support for VIDEO media type in Vegas EDL TXT
- ignore mouse wheel on all faders, by default
- full decode/encode support for OGG Opus files
- removing time in one-track and all-track mode better respects timebase:beats preferences for markers, items, and envelopes
- improved behavior when changing tempo map/moving items across tempo maps
- up to 16 general and 8 MIDI toolbars
- VCA slave track group setting
- fixed color picker potentially appearing offscreen
- added Envelope, Tempo Map, Project Extension State, improved MIDI and Toolbar APIs
Reaper 5 is available for purchase, starting at $60 for an individual non-commercial license. A fully-operational demo version that works for 60 days is available as a free download.