Novation has introduced Circuit, a stand-alone, grid-based groove box.
Teased out by Novation with several weeks of “start something”-themed videos, Novation has positioned Circuit as an all-in-one solution for music creation:
“Sometimes, starting a track can be a difficult and daunting task…. We suffer from this problem too and wanted to create a solution.”
“We wanted something small and portable, something that doesn’t sound like a toy, something that gives maximum creative output from minimum input, something that encourages exploration and creates ‘happy accidents’. That’s why we created Circuit.”
The battery-powered groove box lets you combine up to 128 steps of synth and drum patterns, and subsequently add space, depth and energy to the music with built-in effects. Circuit also has built-in sidechain, and finished creations can be saved to one of 32 slots.
Under the hood, Circuit consists of two Novation polysynths and a four-part drum machine with a 4×8 RGB velocity-sensitive grid sequencer and built-in speaker, all in a standalone box.
The groove box also works with the user’s sound system, computer, and other synth gear, via its Line outputs, USB and MIDI ports.
- 2-part Nova-heritage analog-modelled synthesizer
- 4-part drum machine
- 4×8 grid of RGB, velocity-sensitive sequencer pads
- 6 voice polyphony
- Loads of oscillator types and wavetables
- 64 production-ready patches
- Step sequence or build live
- Lock your music in time and key
- Combine ready-made drum patterns
- “Tweak” using 8 synth macro encoders with RGB LEDs
- Record and play back your tweaks
- Combine up to 128 steps of synth and drum patterns
- Add delay and reverb effects
- 32 slots for creating, saving and playing tunes without a laptop
- Compact and battery powered
- Built-in speaker
- Works with computer and hardware via USB and MIDI
Novation Circuit comes ready to use with a USB cable, 2 MIDI breakout cables: 3.5mm jack to female 5 pin din, hard-copy Getting Started Guide, circuit patches sheet, safety information sheet, 6x AA batteries, and a 12V DC power supply all included.
Pricing and Availability
The Novation Circuit will be available later in October 2015, priced at $329.99 US (MAP).