Roland today officially introduced the JU-06 Synthesizer Module.
The limited-edition JU-06 is an emulation of the iconic Juno-106 synthesizer. The new 4-voice JU-06 features 23 parameters controllable via the front panel and ‘classic Juno sound’ – complete with the much-loved Juno chorus effect.
There are some new additions too, including a faster LFO and continuously variable hi-pass filter (HPF). You can also slide the JU-06 into the optional K-25m keyboard unit for a self-contained, go-anywhere synth experience.
Here’s the official intro video to the Roland Boutique line:
The Juno-106 is sometimes described as one of the last great synths of the analog era, and it became a firm favorite thanks to its distinctive, warm sounds and instant sound shaping ability. According to Roland, the JU-06 module has all of the sonic character of the original, with accurate reproduction of the entire sound set including the classic Juno strings and the much-loved Juno chorus effect.
Like the other members of the Boutique range, Roland also added a few subtle improvements that weren’t found on the original models. The JU-06 gains a faster LFO and a continuously variable hi-pass filter (HPF) resulting in a super-smooth sound.
Built-in Step Sequencer
The onboard 16-step sequencer is a sonic scratchpad that lets you try out new ideas without bringing lots of gear — it can even be used without a keyboard. And if there’s no keyboard connected, the ribbon controller lets you preview the sound.
Optional K-25m Keyboard Unit
The JU-06 also works with the K-25m, an optional 25-key velocity sensitive keyboardl. Once docked in the keyboard, the module’s front panel adjusts to three positions for convenient access to the knobs and sliders.
The JU-06 features a chain mode that allows you to connect two JU-06 modules using the MIDI ports and create one, 8-voice synthesizer. Adding additional modules adds another 4 voices of polyphony with each module. This is especially great when controlling the JU-08 from a larger external keyboard. You can even edit the sound from the master module and control both units.
Battery or USB Bus power
Some of the best music is made away from the studio, so the Roland Boutique series runs on 4xAA batteries, ready for when inspiration strikes. Alternatively, you can power the JU-06 via USB bus power.
USB audio interface for direct recording into your DAW
The built-in USB port also functions as a high-quality 24bit, 44.1 kHz audio interface, for a fast, simple and reliable way of recording directly to your DAW application. You can keep your favorite patches and sequencer patterns safe too, via the USB data backup function.
- Ultra-compact recreation of the iconic Juno-106 synthesizer
- Retains the feel, sound character and user interface of the original
- 23 of the original synth parameters controllable from the front panel
- Adds several additions not found on the original Juno-106, including a faster LFO and continuously variable HPF
- Chain mode allows two JU-06 to function as one 8-voice module
- Highly portable for mobile music making
- High-quality construction with metal front panel
- Dual ribbon controllers for pitch bend, modulation, and sound preview
- Battery-operated (4xAA) or USB powered
- 24 bit/ 44.1 kHz stereo IN/OUT USB audio interface
- Built-in 0.5W mini-speaker for instant enjoyment
- Compatible with optional K-25m keyboard unit
- Maximum Polyphony: 4 voices
- User Memory: 64 (8 patches x 8 bankss
- Controllers: VOLUME knob, Ribbon controllers 1, 2
- LFO Section: RATE slider, DELAY TIME slider
- DCO Section:
- RANGE buttons 16′, 8′, 4′
- LFO slider
- PWM slider
- PWM mode switch
- SQUARE, SAW buttons
- SUB oscillator slider
- NOISE slider
- HPF Section: CUTOFF FREQ slider
- VCF Section:
- CUTOFF FREQ slider
- RESONANCE slider
- Polarity switch
- ENV slider
- LFO slider
- KEY FOLLOW slider
- VCA Section: Control signal switch, VCA level slider
- ENV Section:
- Attack Time slider
- Decay Time slider
- Sustain Time slider
- Release Time slider
- CHORUS Section: CHORUS 1, CHORUS 2 buttons
- BANK 1–8 buttons: PATCH NUMBER 1–8 buttons, MANUAL button
- Effects: Chorus: 2, Delay
- Step Sequencer: 16 step, 16 pattern
- Nominal Input Level: INPUT jack: -0 dBu
- Display: 7 segments, 2 characters (LED)
- PHONES jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- OUTPUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- INPUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
- USB port: MicroB type (Audio, MIDI)
- Power Supply: Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 4, Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4, USB bus power
- Current Draw: 500mA (USB bus power)
- Dimensions: (W x D x H) 11-13/16 x 5-1/16 x 1-3/4″ (300 x 128 x 45 mm)
- Weight (including batteries): 2 lbs. 2 oz. (940g)
- Accessories: Owner’s Manual, Leaflet “USING THE UNIT SAFELY,” Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4
- Options (sold separately): Keyboard unit: K-25m
The Roland JU-06 Synthesizer Module has a street price of about US $299. See the Roland site for more info.