Arturia has released a free update to the BeatStep Pro that adds user-requested features, making it, according to the company, ‘more powerful than ever’:
- The sequencer has been enhanced with quantized pattern launch and pattern chains;
- Parameters can now be edited for all steps at once; and
- An improved song position algorithm keeps BeatStep Pro synchronized at all times.
Here’s what’s new in BeatStep Pro firmware version 1.3:
- Wait to load pattern – BeatStep Pro can now wait until the end of the current pattern to load the next one. This feature is activated from the MIDI Control Center application. If the Preset Link function is activated, the patterns will all change together at the end of the Drum pattern.
- Chain patterns – This functionality frees you from the 64-step per pattern limitation and will let you build entire songs on BeatStep Pro. Create chains of up to 16 patterns that will play one after the other. Chains can be created separately for the two melodic sequencers and the drum sequencer.
- Saving improvements – The saving functionalities of BeatStep Pro have been improved. You can now save a sequence from the Sequencer 1 on the Sequencer 2, or the opposite. Visual feedback is provided for edited pattern via a dot on the display. Empty and filled patterns are shown upon saving, to prevent erasing your existing sequences.
- Edit all steps at once – It is now possible to edit the Velocity, Gate and Shift amount of all active steps in a sequence simultaneously. You can set the same value for all the steps, or add an offset to all the existing values. Create fills by making all the notes longer, by increasing their velocities at the twist of a knob.
- Set the input MIDI channel directly from the unit
- An improved song position algorithm lets you stay in sync while changing the timing resolution and playback direction.
Here’s a video into to the update BeatStep Pro features, from Arturia’s Glen Darcey:
The update is a free download from the Arturia site.