This video, via reader Sebastian Negulescu, aka Attila The Fun, is ‘a rather long and detailed review/overview of the British Trax Retrowave R-1 analog mono synthesizer’:
“I made this review,” explains Negulescu, “because the synth is not well known and I know it took a long time for me to decide to buy it or not.”
- True analogue oscillators, filter, sample and hold, noise generator and VCA
- 1 x Logarithmic Voltage-Controlled Oscillator, with square, ramp, triangle and sine outputs, and PWM control of square wave. Square wave shape can be manually set to give pulse waveforms. The comprehensive range of frequency modulation sources includes 2 x LFO, Sample & Hold, ADSR contour, and external input. Switchable keyboard pitch range (normal, +1 octave and -1 octave), plus tuning control and pitch bend control.
- 1 x 24dB/octave, 4-pole Lowpass Filter, log response. Plenty of modulation inputs including ADSR sweep (for the typical filter automatic “wah” effect each time a note is played), LFO 2 (for repeat wah, bubbling effects, etc.), Sample & Hold, MIDI Velocity and external input. Self-oscillation feature means that the filter can be used as an extra playable oscillator if required. Switchable keyboard tracking feature.
- 2 x Triangle and Square Wave Low Frequency Oscillators, with frequency and wave shape controls (much like those on the Korg MS-10 and MS-20), for vibrato and extreme modulation effects. Adjustable to give ramp, sawtooth, and pulse outputs in addition to the triangle and square waves.
- 1 x Built-in MIDI to CV Unit, with 5V gate and velocity output, 1V/octave CV response (can also drive external analogue gear). Fully variable glide (portamento) control, giving mild to extreme swoops of pitch when playing the keyboard, or when receiving external MIDI note information.
- 1 x Sample & Hold
- 1 x White Noise Generator
- 1 x ADSR Envelope Generator, drives VCA and VCF, with HIGH and LOW range switch. Bright yellow LED monitor and bypass switch for easy set-up. Useful ADSR repeat feature, driven by LFO 1.
- 1 x Linear Voltage-Controlled Amplifier with built-in germanium diode overdrive stage, for massive distortion effects.
The Trax Retrowave R-1 is available for 325.00 GBP.
If you’ve used the Retrowave R-1, leave a comment and share your thoughts on it!