e-licktronic has introduced the Nava – a DIY kit to build a Roland TR-909-inspired drum machine.
According to the company – the analog circuitry of the Nava reproduces the design of the 909 and uses the original components. The sequencer, though, is redesigned ‘for a more intuitive approach to rhythmic composition’.
Here’s a sneak preview of the Nava in action:
The kit includes:
- 2 x PCBs: the Mainboard and the IO Board
- The µC, a Atmega1284P pre programmed with Firmware Nava v1.0
- 3x program EPROM 27C256 with the sound of HitHat, Crash and Ride as those present in the original TR-909.
- 36 x M5218L Mitsubishi. Those are the origianl TR-909 OPA
- 2 x HD14006BP 18 Bit static shift register used to Noise generator
- 1 x AN6912 Quad comparator. HandClap envelop generator identical to that of TR-808.
- 1 x BA6110. This is the only component that we have replaced the original TR-909. The original HandClap VCA is a BA662 manufactured by Roland, but today very expensive and rare. After several sound comparisons and operating the BA6110 makes an excellent substitute for BA662.
- 19 x 2SA1115-F PNP transistors
- 56 x 2SC2603-F NPN transistors
- 4 x 2SA798 PNP Monolithic Transistor Pair
- 2 x 2SD1469 NPN Small signal transistor
- 2 x 2SC2878 NPN Epitaxial transistor for muting application
- 27 x Potentiomètres Potentiometers (all necessary controls for the construction of Nava v1.0)
- 19 x Cherry switches with whites caps
- 17 x illuminated square tact switches
- All other components to complete your kit are available in this Mouser BOM: http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=26a285d084 .The only component that you must get is a 15VAC supply 1000mA, the same used for the Yocto v1.0. A screen printed aluminum case will soon be available on the forum.
Characteristic of Nava v1.0:
- 128 Rhythm patterns from 1 to 16 steps
- 16 tracks of 999 measures
- 1 external instrument track by pattern that can store 99 notes like SH101 sequencer style.
- A Midi keyboard mode allow you to play external Midi device
- Multi out for each instruments
- Individual accent for BD, SD, LT, MT, HT, RS, HC and CH
- A total accent track
- Master out (L/R Mono) 6Vp-p 1Kohm
- tempo 30 – 250 Bpm
- 7 shuffle levels
- 4 scales (1/8t, 1/16, 1/16t and 1/32)
- 4 sequencer directions (forward, backward, ping-pong and random)
- Easy copy and paste pattern function
- Shift left or right the entire pattern or individual instrument
- In/Out/Thru Midi
- DinSync 24ppqn Out
- Trig Out 2ms +5V