This morning Focusrite announced the second generation of their popular Scarlett USB audio interfaces. While the input / output count of each of the interfaces remains the same, this new generation of Scarlett USB audio interfaces boasts many improvements. Delivering Focusrite’s fastest USB performance yet, the new interfaces’ roundtrip latency measurements are as low as 2.74ms.*
The next-gen Scarlett series includes six interfaces, as well as two “studio pack bundles,” ranging from the two-in, two-out, single mic preamp Scarlett Solo up to the rack-mounted 18 in / 20 out Scarlett 18i20. Interface improvements include new metal gain controls and more sleek red metal chassis. The latest Scarlett mic preamp now features a more even gain structure, and the instrument input has been completely redesigned with increased headroom for handling “even seriously hot” guitar pick-ups.
Focusrite have provided analog protection circuitry across both the inputs and the outputs, guarding the interfaces against unwanted power surges. The Scarlett range also now operates at sample rates up to 192kHz.
Focusrite Creative Pack. Following the announcement of an alliance between Focusrite and Avid, Scarlett second-generation interfaces will now also ship with Avid Pro Tools | First. Named Focusrite Creative Pack, the bundle features the free version of Pro Tools digital audio software, and 12 additional plug-ins, including the Eleven Lite for real-life guitar amp emulations and Tape Echo to bring the sound of classic analog delays to mixes. Focusrite and Avid will continue to collaborate closely to ensure that all new Scarlett interfaces are compatible with subsequent versions of Pro Tools, “providing the best possible user experience.” Also provided with the Focusrite Scarlett USB audio interfaces are Ableton Live Lite, Softube’s Time and Tone bundle, the Focusrite Red Plug-In Suite, 2GB of Loopmasters samples and more.
Key features of the new Focusrite Scarlett Range:
- New Scarlett mic preamps with a more a linear gain structure for accurate setting of levels
- “Class leading” conversion up to 24-bit / 192kHz and real world dynamic range up to 109dB
- Super Low Latency lets you perform and record using effects in real time. No DSP required
- Newly-designed Instrument inputs, designed to handle seriously hot pick-ups
- Pro Tools | First Focusrite Creative Pack with 12 additional plug-ins
- Enhanced Software, including Ableton Live Lite and Softube’s Time and Tone bundle
- Mac and PC compatible, working with all major DAWs
Availability. The bus-powered range of Scarlett 2nd generation interfaces is available immediately, with the Scarlett 6i6, 18i8 and 18i20 following later in June. The Scarlett range is Mac and PC compatible, working across all major DAWs.
- Scarlett Solo: MAP $99.99 (Solo Studio Pack: MAP $199.99)
- Scarlett 2i2: MAP – $149.99 (2i2 Studio Pack: MAP – $249.99)
- Scarlett 2i4: MAP – $199.99
- Scarlett 6i6: MAP – $249.99
- Scarlett 18i8: MAP – $349.99
- Scarlett 18i20: MAP – $499.99