Synthstrom Audible has released the Deluge – an all-in-one, stand-alone, portable synthesizer, sequencer and sampler, designed for the creation and performance of electronic music.
The Deluge lets you do grid-style sequencing, using 128 RGB pads; play samples from SD card (up to 32GB); create new sounds with an internal synth engine (FM & subtractive synthesis); control other gear, via MIDI & CV/Gate outputs; and work anywhere you like, since it has a built-in battery, mic and speaker.
- Piano-roll-style sequencing on 128 full RGB pads (16×8) with scrolling and zooming.
- Full-featured Internal synthesizer engine (subtractive and FM).
- Plays samples from SD card (up to 32GB SDHC).
- Sequencing limited only by device RAM (many thousands of notes).
- Polyphony limited only by CPU. Typically around 48 synth voices or 64 unaffected sample voices may play.
- 64MB of sample ram – work with up to 12 minutes (if mono) of CD-quality samples per song.
- Live adjustment of synth and effect parameters with two endless-turn encoders with LED level-meters. Easy buttons to select the functions these control. Parameter automation recording.
- Advanced syncing capabilities. Weird time signatures supported. Adjustable swing.
- Dedicated volume and tempo knobs.
- LFOs and envelopes on each synth / sample. Highly customizable patching matrix.
- Synthesizer engine features LPF / HPF, arpeggiator, portamento, oscillator sync, ring modulation, unison detune, and more. Four basic waveforms, or select any WAV file from the SD card.
- FX including delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser, bitcrushing, sidechain effect, live stutter, and more.
- Time-stretching of samples
- Keyboard mode, where the pads become a live instrument on a 2D grid.
- Preset or custom scales, or chromatic mode.
- Internal speaker, rechargeable Li-ion battery (6+ hours of operation), and microphone.
- 3.5mm mic and ¼” line inputs.
- Two ¼” line outputs, and 3.5mm headphone output.
- 2x CV outputs. 0 – 10V, individually configurable to 1, 1.2, 0.26 or 0.32 volts per octave, or to hertz per volt.
- 4x gate / trigger outputs individually configurable to v-trig or s-trig, with shared voltage switchable between 5V and 12V. Trigger clock output configurable, up to 192 PPQN.
- Trigger clock input, also with adjustable PPQN.
- MIDI input and output via hardware connectors or USB. Syncing via MIDI beat clock as master or slave.
- Simultaneously output separate sequences to all 16 MIDI channels, 2 CV / gate channels and 2 additional gate outputs, in addition to internal synthesizers / samples (limited only by CPU and RAM, as above).
- Powered via USB or 9 – 12V centre-negative (pedal-style) power supply (500mA) (not included).
- User-upgradeable firmware – expect updates from Synthstrom Audible.
- Dimensions: 305mm x 208mm x 46mm (12 x 8.2 x 1.8 inches).
- Weight: 1.5kg
In additional to final specifications, Synthstrom has released a massive series of walkthrough videos:
Deluge Video Walkthrough:
- Part 1 introduces you to “Track View”, “Song View” and the Deluges scrolling and zooming, shows how you construct songs and introduces you to some of the sample playback features..
- Part 2 goes deep into the Sound Editor and patching matrix and explores the sampling capability of the Deluge.
- Part 3 brings a few other instruments into play and showcases the Deluges ability to play with others.
In addition, they’ve shared some audio demos of the Deluge synthesizer:
Pricing and Availability
The Deluge is available with a launch price of $780 USD + $55 shipping (through Nov 25, 2016). At this point, the lead time on production is expected to be four months. They have not announced pricing for the Deluge for orders after Nov 25th, but they expect it to be several hundred dollars more. See the Synthstrom Audible site for details.