The Jahtari Korg Monotron Delay is a a mod that improves the controls of the effects unit and houses it in a Commodore C64 floppy drive case.
Here’s what Jahtari has to say about it:
If you’ve ever stumbled over one of the original Korg Montron Delays you can’t but help to admire the raw 1970s SciFi movie sound and overall concept: a dub siren and analog delay, all in one tiny unit – and for 40 EUR? What more can you ask for!
But its small size and budget-saving price definitely have their downsides: the knobs are ultra-flimsy and no fun to use at all, the batteries always seems to run out just during a set and it actually could have done with a few more simple extras, like a Resonance on
It also comes with an input for using it as a normal delay via an Aux Send on the mixer, but that input distorts instantly when a little bass is in the game (like in every Reggae and Dub record) plus there’s no knob for adjusting the Dry/Wet mix, turning it pretty useless for that purpose
So the idea of the Jahtari editon was to take the potential of this little rudebwoy among delays and build it into something that can actually be used live and in the studio. Luckily the Monotron comes already prepared for some serious bending.
- a Trigger button instead of the ribbon controller that works also as switch, giving you two free
hands to screw around with the knobs
- wave shape of the LFO (originally only triangle) can now be changed with a knob from | to / to /|,
unlocking a wealth of new FX sounds
- in pulse mode, the wave shape knob now sets the pulse width of the LFO, adding more sounds
- LFO can now be switched to modulate the filter cutoff and not only the pitch of the oscillator
- the filter now has a resonance knob, working up to self-oscillation. With the LFO modulating the
cutoff this adds an extra type of dub siren!
- durable, nice-grip switches and big Moog-style knobs for true finger-twisting fun
- comes in an original Commodore C64 floppy case for proper vibes
- incl. power supply, no need to worry about battery life anymore
Here’s an example of the Jahtari Korg Monotron Delay in action:
Pricing and Availability
The Jahtari Korg Monotron Delay is available built to order, priced at 400,- EUR + shipping
via Andreas Markusen