Propellerhead Software today released Reason 9.2, a free update that supports further development for the Rack Extension plug-in platform, and introduces Software Development Kit 2.5 to developers.
The Software Development Kit (SDK) is designed to let third-party developers create instrument and effect Rack Extensions to be used inside Reason.
The Rack Extension SDK has evolved significantly since its inception, and now offers many new features, including:
- User sample loading and sampling in Rack Extensions
- Customizable and switchable panels, widgets and tabs
- Numerous other improvements including display pop-up menus, modifier keys in displays and new ways to visualize audio and data
- Improved development, testing and debugging tools
“The Rack Extension SDK allows us to focus on the DSP and user interface design while taking care of all of the other details,” said Andrew Best, CEO of Blamsoft. “The new sample loading feature in SDK 2.5 allows for an entirely new breed of instruments and effects not yet seen in the platform.”
Pricing and availability
Reason 9.2 is a free downloadable update for Reason 9 owners. Existing users can download today using the auto-update feature in Reason 9.
Reason is available for purchase as a direct download from Propellerhead’s website, or from authorized dealers worldwide at the following suggested retail pricing:
- Reason —USD $449 / EUR €405
- Reason Essentials —USD $129 / EUR €120
- Reason Upgrade (from any previous Reason version) — USD $129 / EUR €129
See the Propellerhead site for details.