At the 2017 NAMM Show, we talked with Yamaha’s Blake Angelos about the latest update to the Montage synthesizer, version 1.5.
Montage 1.5 brings sound, control and workflow improvements and will be available as a free download Feb 5th, 2017.
Montage OS v1.5 Highlights:
- Sound – The OS v1.5 version improves on the sound with new Performances, organ effects and dynamic processors.
- New Performances – OS v1.5 features over 50 new Performances that focus on the unique Montage Motion Control Synthesis Engine:
- Organ Performances – The new rotary speaker effect features authentic “rotor” simulation with assignable speed up/slow down. The new effect has improved overdrive behavior for a warm, full vintage sound. The new Performances feature the new rotary speaker along with drawbar control via the faders.
- New Dynamic Processors and Presence – Dynamic Processors are useful for fine-tuning levels in a mix. The new OS v1.5 processors add even more high-quality options.
- Control – Montage takes control to the next level with Motion Control. With OS v1.5, it expands Motion Control to give you even more creative options.
- Super Knob Enable/Disable on Assignable Knobs – By default, the Super Knob controls all Assignable Knobs. OS v1.5 gives you the option to control some or one of the Assignable Knobs. For example, you can release just one of the Assignable Knobs from Super Knob control, so you can adjust a single assigned parameter for finer adjustments. This new feature adds that level of control.
- MIDI Scene Control – The MONTAGE “Scene” feature is a powerful way to add interactive dimension to a Performance. Scene changes can add Arpeggios, Motion Sequences, Mute Parts and more. OS v1.5 allows Scene change from an external MIDI control source like a DAW or second keyboard. This adds even more control when performing live or during production in a studio.
- Improved Auto Beat Sync – Accuracy Auto Beat Sync is a very cool feature that derives tempo from audio. In other words, MONTAGE “listens” to the beat like a musician. This could be a live drum kit, drum loop, rhythm guitar or any source with solid, rhythmic time. Once set up and plugged into MONTAGE, that source controls the playback tempo. Drummers may have an emotional moment when they realize that instead of them having to listen to a click track, MONTAGE is listening to and following them.
- Workflow – There are many workflow and visualization improvements in Montage OS v1.5:
- New Backup File – The Backup File lets you load and save your entire MONTAGE content to a single file. This includes all onboard flash memory content. This is great if you have to load all of your content from one MONTAGE to another. For example, touring musicians using a backline MONTAGE or church musicians who have a MONTAGE at home and one at church.
- Ability to Tag Favorites – OS v1.5 lets you easily tag your favorite Performances. There’s also a new “Favorites” area in the powerful CATEGORY SEARCH feature making it easy to find your favorites.
- Performance View – You can now get a detailed view of key range for Parts and see individual Part Element/Operator states from the main Performance/Home screen:
- Live Set Improvements – Selected Performances are now highlighted in Orange and you can change the size of the font within the Live Set for much greater visibility.
- Parameter with Part – When adding Parts to a Performance, you can choose to inherit settings from the Part. For example, when adding a string layer, you may want to bring in just the Arpeggio, Motion Sequence and Scene data but retain the mix settings of your currently selected Performance. This is great for auditioning different sounds while mixing or creating Performances.
- Monitor Volume for USB Input – OS v1.5 adds USB audio monitor control. This is useful for quickly adjusting the incoming audio level from a DAW or iOS device. It’s also handy when listening to music on the computer from iTunes™, YouTube™ or other source.
You can find out more about Montage OS 1.5 at the Yamaha Synth site.