At the 2017 NAMM Show, we talked with Universal Audio’s Gannon Kashiwa, who gave us an overview of the new Apollo Twin MkII.
The Apollo Twin mkII is described as “a ground-up redesign of the world’s most popular professional desktop recording interface for Mac and Window”.
Featuring onboard Realtime UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, or all new QUAD Core processing, the 2×6 Thunderbolt audio interface improves upon the original Apollo Twin’s audio quality with redesigned AD/DA next-generation conversion, offering increased dynamic range and low THD.
Apollo Twin MkII also features Unison technology, which allows its dual mic preamps and front-panel DI to sound and emulate sought-after tube and solid state preamps, guitar amps, and stompboxes — including their impedance, gain stage “sweet spots,” and circuit behaviors. Unison lets Apollo Twin MkII owners track through a range of colorful preamp emulations from Neve, API, Fender, and more.
Apollo Twin MkII also offers improved monitor functionality versus the original Apollo Twin — with Mute, DIM, Mono, and ALT speaker switching. It also includes monitor remote controls and a built-in talkback mic for easy communication with talent, or for recording slate cues.
- Desktop 2×6 Thunderbolt audio interface for Mac and Windows with next-generation 24-bit/192 kHz audio conversion
- Available UAD-2 QUAD, DUO, or SOLO Core Processing for tracking through vintage compressors, EQs, tape machines, mic preamps, and guitar amp plug-ins with near-zero latency*
- Unison & trade technology offers stunning models of classic tube and transformer-based preamps, guitar amps, and stompboxes
- Built-in talkback mic for communication with studio talent and recording slate cues
- Improved monitor functionality including monitor remote functions and Mono, Mute, DIM, and ALT monitor controls
- 2 premium Unison mic/line preamps; 2 line outputs; front-panel Hi-Z instrument input and headphone output
- 2 digitally controlled analog monitor outputs for full resolution at all listening levels
- Up to 8 channels of additional digital input via Optical TOSLINK connection
- Includes Realtime Analog Classics UAD plug-in bundle, featuring Legacy versions of the LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN Limiting Amplifier, and Pultec EQP-1A Program Equalizer, plus Softube Amp Room Essentials, Raw Distortion, 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, and more
- Runs UAD Powered Plug-Ins via VST, Audio Units, RTAS, & AAX 64 in all major DAWs
Pricing and Availability
The Apollo Twin MkII is now shipping with an estimated street price of $699 (SOLO), $899 (DUO), and $1,299 (QUAD).