The 20 synthesizer – the limited-edition (20 silver/20 black), 20.000 EURO keyboard – is now shipping, and designer Axel Hartmann shared these images of the first production model.
The keyboard is based on the Waldorf/Sledge synth engine – but is what the designers would create if pricing and marketing/branding concerns did not drive their design decisions.
“No matter, what you think about this project, the synth itself, or me doing something like this as a designer in this – our niche of the music-market; – I am really proud of how this machine is sitting in front of my camera lens right in this moment.”
Unique to the 20:
- SPL Supra Op-Amp audio technology
- Hartmann Neuron Synthesizer Sampleset
- Pure aluminum shell, milled from a massive block
- Collapsable, milled ultra thin aluminum panel
- Custom-built pure aluminum knobs and wheels
- Custom-built acrylic-glass switches
- Highest quality, custom-built, all black Fatar TP 8 Keybed
- Sound design by Kurt Ader (E-Mu, Korg); Peter Gorges (Nord, Kawai, Steinberg); Wolfram Franke (PPG, Waldorf)
Oscillator 1 includes the classic PPG Wavetables for the creation of digital textures and soundscapes, as well as all kinds of bellish / metallic sounds. The included sample memory is filled with samples from the rare Neuron synthesizer.
German audio manufacturer SPL added a specially designed version of their SUPRA op-amps. With 120V operating voltage, this technology provides exceptional performance throughout the whole signal processing path for the 20, adding balanced stereo and high-end headphones outputs.
The instrument body is milled from a massive aluminum block:
Here’s sound designer Kurt Ader demonstrating his sounds on a prototype:
See the 20 site for more info.