Developer Johannes Lohbihler has introduced the dadamachines automat toolkit – a plug & play MIDI-controller and accessories kit that makes it easy to create MIDI-controlled music robots.
The core of the toolkit is the automat, an arduino-compatible MIDI-controller with 12 DC outputs. The automat can be used with your favorite music software or hardware. The toolkit includes the automat and a series of solenoid beaters that plug in to the 12 outputs, letting you tap, ping and knock on anything.
Here’s the official intro video:
Automat System Overview:
The automat lets you plug in in DIN or USB MIDI gear then it turns your MIDI notes into gates that control the solenoids. The Arduino brain translates NoteOn / NoteOff Messages into control of the solenoid.
- automat controller
- USB Midi
- DIN Midi-In & Thru (Out option)
- 12 DC Outputs (12-24V max. 1.3A)
- External power supply 12-24V
- Arduino shields & extension port
- Simple learn mode >1 button click
- Advanced learn mode
- Anodized aluminum panel
- Powder coated steel shell
- Dimensions – 110 x 110 x 26mm
- Additionally, each toolkit comes with adapters & elements helping the users to get started easily.
Lohbihler has other plans, if there is interest, including: a desktop configuration app, CV/Gate via an extension port and additional accessories.
Pricing and Availability
Production of the automat toolkit is being funded via a Kickstarter project. It’s available in several versions, ranging from the automat board for 89 euro to a kit with 6 soloids and accessories for 399 euro. The project is already fully funded.