Audiobus Pty Ltd has released Audiobus 3, an audio + MIDI routing system for iOS.
Audiobus 3 introduces a completely new MIDI routing system, support for Apple’s Audio Unit Extensions standard, a new built-in mixer, workflow improvements and more.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
Send live audio or MIDI from one Audiobus-compatible app to another: add effects on top of your favourite synth, use your favourite step sequencer to drive the whole lot, and record it all in your favourite DAW, sampler or looper. Plug in a MIDI keyboard, run it through an arpeggiator or a key quantizer, and record the result in your DAW, or drive several different sound generators with a keyboard splitter. The possibilities are endless.
Then save your setup in a preset to be restored with one touch later on.
Here’s a look at the new MIDI features in Audiobus 3:
Audiobus 3 supports Audio Unit Extensions. Apps that have been updated to the Audiobus 3 SDK will launch into the background – even host apps like Cubasis and MultiTrack DAW.
Audiobus 3 is a new app, independent from Audiobus 2. Apps that are compatible with Audiobus 2, though, will also be compatible with Audiobus 3.
- Use your music apps together by passing live audio and MIDI around between them
- Design your own sound by chaining effects, record and layer performances, sequence your sound generators.
- Adjust levels and balance for all audio sources to get that perfect mix.
- Control key features of your apps from any other app. Cue playback and recording, change chord or switch patterns or patches: it’s all possible with the Audiobus Connection Panel.
- Save, recall and share your setups with presets: perfect for live performances. Saves your app connections, and the settings for each app that supports Audiobus State Saving.
- More than 900 compatible apps.
- Vibrant and supportive community.
MIDI Apps For Audiobus 3
Developer Johannes Dörr let us know about a variety of MIDI apps for iOS that are being introduced in conjunction with Audiobus 3, Midiflow for Audiobus 3. The apps are available individually or as a bundle, and let you send MIDI and effect MIDI in many ways.
Here’s the official intro video:
Other apps include Midiflow Transposer & Midiflow Monitor.
Pricing and Availability
Audiobus 3 is available now for US $9.99. There are no in-app purchases in Audiobus 3 (multi routing that was unlocked with an IAP in Audiobus 2 is now included). It requires iOS 10.2.
The Midiflow apps are available as a bundle for US $8.99, and are also available individually.