Arturia today released BeatStep Pro firmware 2, an update that adds a wide variety of new features, including ones to make it more ‘volca-friendly’, a Scenes mode, new polyrhythmic drum sequencing, streamlined editing and more.
Here’s what’s new in BeatStep Pro v2:
The Polyrhythm Mode:
The Roller & Arpeggiator:
Randomness & Step Edition:
Drum Tie-Note Function & Volca Compatibility:
Here’s a live performance by Tom Demac, using the BeatStep Pro with firmware version 2:
- SHIFT + Step 2 = Clear steps in selected track
- SHIFT + Step 9 (in Controller Mode) = Switch between Roller and Looper, affects Controller Mode and the three sequencers.
- Roller in melodic mode is an arpeggiator that plays notes in the order where they were pressed.
- SHIFT + Step 14 (Controller Mode) = Wait to load pattern
- SHIFT + Step 15 (Controller Mode) = Global Tempo
- SHIFT + Step 16 (Drum Mode) = Polyrhythm
- BeatStep Pro is Synchronizable with Volcas
- Create longer notes in the drum sequencer using Ties
- Scales are now applied after the sequence
- Ability to enter notes in melodic sequencer by hitting a pad then tapping one or multiple steps.
- Set MIDI Channel as part of the Drum Map. Each pad can be set to User Channel or to a fixed channel between 1 and 16.
- Create a mode where random will only randomize the octave of the notes and not the notes in Sequencer 1 & 2.
- Velocity CV Out can now be attenuated from the MCC
- Set custom length for each drum track using Polyrhythm
- Scenes mode : A Scene contains a pattern or a chain for Sequencer 1, Sequencer 2 and Drum that can be instantly recalled.
- There are 16 available Scenes.
- Change the looper start point in the sequence by pressing steps
- Fast Tie mode now available in Drum Sequencer. Fast Ties get applied after a short time.
- Shift + Swing now properly work together
- Pad velocity in Controller Mode now functional
- Pads now light up when setting Program Changes
- Knobs can now be set to control Aftertouch in Controller Mode
- Selected Pad of Drum Sequencer is properly lit in Real-Time recording
- Step + Pad now working with Drums sequencer with record active
- Pressing step buttons to change Project doesn’t send unwanted CC messages
- No more crashes on pattern change after external transpose with transpose link
- Improvements to HUI protocol when using Pro Tools 10
- Sequences are now properly updated with Preset Link
- First pattern of a chain is now played once when Wait to Load Pattern = Off
- Transpose link + chaining pattern now properly work together
- No more stuck notes on Stop/Pause using analog clock
- No more drifting of the MIDI clock output when using internal clock
- No more notes jumped when using the Looper with MIDI, USB or Clk Sync
- Exiting Looper now plays the right note information
- Control mode = Knob jumping from 127 to 0 with slow
See the Arturia site for details.
If you’ve tried v2, leave a comment and share your thoughts on it!