Knobcon organizer Suit & Tie Guy let us know about something new for this year’s Knobcon, scheduled for Sept 8-10 in the Chicago area.
Knobcon is partnering with TASCAM on the ‘Demo Derby’. TASCAM is providing DP-006 Digital Pocketstudios that attendees can use to record 4-track demos on gear featured at the show. And, if you record a demo, you’ll have a chance to win one of several recorders provided by TASCAM.
Manufacturer-specific rigs will be available in the Demo Derby room, and since the Pocketstudios are battery powered, you’ll be able to take them from station-to-station and multi-track a demo, using any of the available gear.
After you record your tracks, you can take the track to a mixing station, and TASCAM Demo Derby mix engineer (and Youtube talkbox king) Moot Booxle will be available to help you finish your demo with a Track Factory turnkey PC DAW.
A state-issued photo ID deposit will be required to check out a Pocketstudio.
Want to Curate a Demo System?
Knobcon is not limiting spaces for demo systems to manufacturers, so anyone can bring a system for the Demo Derby.
Here are the requirements:
- The entire system must fit on one table or in a 6’ x 6’ area (you must provide all stands)
- Systems must be set up before the show begins at 10 a.m. on Saturday, and remain available until Sunday at 5 p.m.
- Have provision for mixing/headphone monitoring
- Provide final stereo output for connection to Pocketstudio
- System must contain needed accessories (patch cables, head phones etc)
- Must have quick start sheet explaining the basics of the system
Manufacturers or individuals interested in bring a system to the Knobcon Demo Derby should contact the organizers to reserve a space. See the Knobcon site for details.