Audio Damage has released Axon 2 for iPad – a port of its desktop neural network drum machine.
Axon uses a modified artificial neural network as a sequencer, and features seven FM-based percussion voices, that are really a single 18-operator FM voice.
The sequencer features seven “neurons” that trigger a voice and send a pulse when they have received a predetermined number of pulses. You can wire the output of any neuron to the input of any other (with built-in loop detection to prevent runaway feedback), and in this manner pre-program the artificial neural network without having to go through a “learning” phase.
The seven individual drum voices, each triggered by its attendant neuron, are 2-operator FM voices in a configuration to best make percussion sounds, with additional FM and AM busses that all voices send to and receive from. Each voice has a HPF, distortion circuit, and white noise generator to provide a full range of percussion-oriented voicing individually, while interacting with each other in new and unique ways.
- Artificial Neural Network sequencer features seven neurons, and is easily programmed to create strange new repeating rhythms.
- Seven FM percussion voices that also buss together to create a single monolithic complex percussion synthesizer.
- Full mixer with pan, level, mute, and solo on each voice.
- Built-in stereo delay with X/Y pad control over feedback and filter frequency, for live playability.
- MIDI input, including Bluetooth MIDI, for driving Axon from DAW and hardware sequencers, and Virtual MIDI Output (standalone only) for driving other software with the Axon sequencer.
- Inter-App Audio, including transport synchronization, in standalone mode.
- Internal transport for non-synchronized playback.
- Resizable vector-based user interface.
- Drawn reciprocation dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
- XML-based cross-platform, human-readable preset system, with copy/paste, for easy transferring of your own presets and third-party offerings.
Note: AD warns that Axon 2 ‘may be difficult to use due to the size’ on an iPad Mini.
Pricing and Availability
Axon 2 is available for iPad for US $5.99.