Soundfruuze is an experimental sampler / granular effect / looper for iPad.
It records live the recent 10 seconds of audio and allows you to manipulate it with special controls. The interface is divided into five “lanes”, sound is produced by touching the lanes.
Each lane can be set up to use different effect and has various control parameters mapped to the touch position:
- Scratch – Most basic lane type. You can control the volume of the resulting sound and smoothness of the position interpolation. Lesser smooth value produces the sound with more high frequencies.
- Granular Freeze – Allows you to select the sound at some position and use both horizontal and vertical coordinates of touch as 2 independent parameters. You can control volume, playback speed (pitch) and the grain size.
- Granular Scrub – This type of lane is very similar to granular freeze but it allows to change the position of the grain after its start.
- FFT Freeze and FFT Scrub – In both FFT types of lanes another algorithm is used to process sound. In both FFT Freeze and Scrub sound is analyzed with the FFT transform and divided into frames. FFT Freeze allows you to select the frame at the desired sample position and to play it making the sound “freeze” at this point.
- Looper – This lane type allows you to make loops / repeat large grains of sound. When you touch a looper lane, a new looper control is created and is kept there until you turn it off with the red ‘close’ button. You can change loop speed, volume, size and position for each loop individually or for all loops on one lane together using additional controls
Pricing and Availability
Soundfruuze is available for US $6.99 in the App Store.
If you’ve used Soundfruuze, leave a comment and share your thoughts on it!