Developer Matthew Fecher has introduced FM Player: Classic DX Synths, a free and open source iPad virtual instrument.
“It’s 100% free. No in-app purchases, ads, or anything to buy,” notes Fecher. “It’s multi-sampled from a DX7, a DX7II, and some bonus TX81z presets.”
In addition to the software being free, the developer is making the AudioKit ROM Player code available, so that you can create your own sample-based ROMpler type instruments for iOS.
- Faithful recordings of classic presets from original retro 80s FM synthesizers
- Over 50+ presets included
- Effects: Reverb, Auto Pan, Bit Crush, Stereo Fatten, and more
- MIDI in (Play with a MIDI Keyboard)
- Low-pass Filter: Cutoff, Rez, and Filter LFO
- Analog Tape Style Ping-Pong Delay
- Play live with a keyboard: MIDI Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel, Program Change, Velocity sensitive sounds, and Sustain Pedal support already added
- Basic Inter-App Audio (IAA) integration.
- AudioBus 3 support.
- MIDI Learn
Here’s an unofficial video demo, via redskylullaby:
Pricing and Availability