The developers of the minimal monome grid controller shared this sneak preview of the norns – a new standalone platform for computer music.
norns is described as “a platform for sound processing and synthesis. code connects sonic ideas to process ideas to interaction ideas.”
Like their other music devices, norns is minimal. They note, “We believe that when minimalism succeeds it leaves space for your own ideas and enforces less of a singular, specified agenda.”
- 1/4″. 2 output. 2 input with analog gain stage. all line level. (1)
- 1/4″ headphone with gain.
- 128 x 64 OLED, 16-level bright white huge pixels.
- 3 rotary encoders, standard resolution.
- 3 keys.
- rear status LED indicating power and disk access.
- 4 x USB ports for devices.
- serial tty via USB-mini.
- power/charge via USB-mini (high output USB power supply included).
- internal lipo battery 2250mAh.
- compute module 3 SoC. quad core 1.2ghz, 1gb RAM, 4gb eMMC (faster and more reliable than an sd card).
- cs4270 i2s audio codec (low latency).
- linux with realtime kernel. (2)
Full details are still to come via llllllll.