2020 NAMM Show: EarthQuaker Devices has introduced the Afterneath Eurorack Module, designed to bring ‘otherworldly sounds’ to your Euro system.
The Afterneath Module features one main audio input, one main audio output, an audio send and return for the “Reflect” feedback path, and nine controls.
Four of the parameters are controllable via CV, and each has been equipped with a dedicated inverting attenuator. The Afterneath module has a completely analog dry signal path and a totally digital wet signal path.
The Afterneath Module further expands on the company’s Afterneath pedal with the addition of voltage control over the “Diffuse,” “Length” and “Drag” controls. It also offers an entirely new voltage-controlled “Mode” parameter that changes how the “Drag” responds to knob and CV changes.
When adjusting “Drag” via the knob or CV, a change in character, fidelity and decay length of the effect is realized. There is also a noticeable change in pitch for the sound that is in the Afterneath’s buffer. As with the Afterneath pedal, high settings of the “Reflect” and “Length” controls result in self-oscillation, where the pitch of the oscillation is set by the “Drag” control.
There are nine modes that govern the behavior of the Drag control and its effect on the pitch of the sound in the buffer:
- Unquantized – Smooth, unquantized response over the entire operating range of the “Drag” parameter
- Unquantized with Slew – Smooth, unquantized response over the entire operating range, but with a musical slew that is reminiscent of turning the varispeed knob on a vintage British tape delay. The “Drag” will lag behind the knob or CV changes, but then quickly catch up
- Unquantized Volt/Octave – Smooth and unquantized, yet scaled to align with the 1V/octave curve to allow melodic modulation of audio in the buffer, or control the frequency of self-oscillation like a voltage-controlled oscillator
- Chromatic Scale – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to intervals within the Chromatic scale
- Major Scale – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to intervals within the Major scale
- Minor Scale – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to intervals within the Minor scale
- Pentatonic Scale – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to intervals within the Pentatonic scale
- Octaves and Fifths – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to octaves and fifths of the original pitch
- Octaves – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to octaves of the original pitch
Beyond modulated delay and reverb effects, modes 3 through 9 extend the possibility of using the Afterneath Module as an interesting voltage-controlled oscillator.
Another new feature found only in the Afterneath Module is a “Dry Kill” switch that allows access to a 100 percent wet signal, which is perfect for using the module as an effect send from a mixer or digital audio workstation.
Finally, a “Reflect Send” and “Reflect Return” jack not only allows external processing of the Afterneath’s “Reflect” feedback path, but also gives the user access to a phenomenal pseudo-stereo effect. In addition to patching from the main output, the user can also patch from the “Reflect Send” jack. This provides a wide, immersive, ambient stereo image.
Additionally, the “Reflect Return” jack can be used as an additional audio input. The “Reflect” knob will act as an attenuator for any signal that is patched into the “Reflect” jack.
Pricing and Availability
The Afterneath Eurorack Module is available for pre-order now for $249 USD.