The Critter & Guitari Melody Mill is a note generation module for Eurorack modular synthesizers. It contains a keyboard, CV outputs, CV clock input, built-in arpeggiators, a sequencer, and MIDI capabilities.
With the Melody Mill you can:
- Use the CV output to control oscillators
- Connect your MIDI controller or computer into your modular setup using the MIDI input
- Play notes, record and playback sequences and arpeggios on your favorite modules
- Convert MIDI clock into CV pulses
- Clock the arpeggiator with an LFO for strange melodies
- Hold notes for drones
- Connect the built-in square wave oscillator directly to a filter or an amp
A reader faces a common dilemma: they wanted to get started with electronic music making, they need to spend their money wisely and they aren’t sure where to start:
I’m researching building an analog startup kit for a home studio. Some years ago I was pretty involved with software-based DAW production and a little MIDI. I’ll likely go back to DAW at some point but I really want to try going more hardware based for a while.
I don’t have a lot of money to drop initially and will probably piece it all together over time. I don’t want to over-shoot and want quality components, while getting value for my money.
Synthesizers.com’s Roger Arrick has shared a great collection of photos of the Moog synthesizer factory in 1977, taken by William Beith.
Beith visited the Moog factory at its Cheektowaga, NY location as part of his work for Gibson Guitars.
The photos are very evocative, because of the both the content and the age of the film. And the pictures capture the factory when some of Moog’s most iconic instruments were in production. Continue reading
New Eurorack manufacturer Qu-Bit Electronix has introduced the Nebulae - an audio file player/granular oscillator in the Eurorack modular synthesizer format.
The Nebulae uses sound files as the source material for creating loops, melodies, granular clouds, drones, pads and otherworldy textures. Ships with a flash drive containing a copyright free sample library recorded and mastered specifically for Nebulæ.
- Plays .wav, .aif, .flac , and .ogg files from a USB device
- No naming convention for files
- Independent control of pitch and speed
- 1 V/oct pitch tracking
- MIDI control over all parameters
- DSP engine of Csound
- Looping / one shot capabilities