Livid Instruments, best known for their line of MIDI controllers, has released two free Racks for Ableton Live users.
The first Rack features the classic 8-bit sounds of the Commodore 64/Mode Machines SID:
Livid’s KC Harvey-Taylor sat down with one recently to break out some sounds for some drums and samplers that are perfect for retro-game effects or just punching through a mix with the characteristic edgy sounds of low-bit, lo-fi, old-school computers.
This free set of samples are conveniently wrapped up in an Ableton Live Pack and includes a 23-sound Drum Rack, a multi-sample Bass, a couple nice lead synths with effects, and some MIDI clips to get you started. If you don?t have live, you can just download the WAV files.
Here’s an audio preview: Continue reading
ALM has introduced the Sid Guts – a new Eurorack module basd on the sound generator chip used in the Commodore 64.
The MOS Technology 6581/8580 ?Sound Interface Device? chip, aka the ?SID?, was the sound generator chip used in the Commodore 64 home computer. The SID, by the means of 3 wavetable oscillators, a real analogue multi mode filter, an ADSR and various cross modulation options, provided the soundtrack to a generation of computer gaming.
The Sid Guts takes the legendary SID chip and tailors it into the Eurorack modular environment. By use of a real SID chip, the classic sound is taken in a new direction with the levels of direct and voltage control only a modular system can offer.
Here’s a video introduction to the Sid Guts: Continue reading
Developer Alex Smith has introduced Sidpad – an 8-bit style chiptune synth for the iPad.
- 3 Voice Synthesizer - Over 40 controllable parameters to create a wide range of 8 bit chip-tune sounds. All knobs are MIDI controllable.
- Multimode Filter - includes Type, Cutoff, Resonance and customizable Cutoff Envelope
- Flexible Modulation - Hand draw up to 4 graphs and assign them to the synth’s parameters to add movement and expression to your sound
- Wavetable Editor - The 16 step wavetable editor lets you set up sound effects and arpeggiated melodies. You can sequence notes and waveform changes either as one shot or in a loop and vary the speed
- Help Mode - Every feature is explained via the help button to get you up and running with SidPad regardless of your synthesizer experience.
This is a sneak preview of the Mode Machines SID synthesizer.
Specs and pricing are to come.
Pretty Eight Machine is NIN’s Pretty Hate Machine, re-imagined in its entirety by Inverse Phase on eight different 8-bit systems.
Sound configurations include: SID/6581 (Commodore 64), POKEY (Atari 800), straight 2A03 (NES), AY/SCC+ (MSX+Metal Gear 2 or Snatcher cartridge), SN76489 (Sega Master System), 2A03+VRC6 (Famicom+Castlevania 3 cartridge), LR35902 (Game Boy), and OPLL (MSX-MUSIC or Japanese Sega Master System).
Pretty Eight Machine is available at the Inverse Phase Bandcamp page.
This video offers a 5-year retrospective look at the Blip Festival, an event that celebrates chiptune, music with live performances and workshops.
via 2PlayerProductions, blipfestival.org