Apple quietly rolled out an update to GarageBand for OS X, earlier this week, that adds support for OS X Yosemite and brings back control over audio effect plugins.
GarageBand 10 is seen by many as an improvement in usability, but a major step backwards in functionality from the previous version. The update restores some functionality, but many may still prefer the earlier version. Continue reading
Wooji Juice, creator of Mitosynth & Grain Science synthesizers and Hokusai audio editor for iOS, has shared the results of some initial experimentation with a new option under iOS 8 – Extensions.
Extensions are designed to allow applications to share features, which are made available in other applications. Apple’s examples include sending alerts to notification center, adding new system-level social media sharing, providing access to file repositories and adding custom keyboards.
Wooji Juice is exploring how Extensions can be used for audio. In their example, an Extension is used to add the option to reverse audio Mitosynth. Continue reading
Apple today introduced a new 21.5-inch iMac, priced starting at $1,099. But. while it may be an elegant and relatively affordable all-in-one computer, the entry-level model sacrifices performance for pricing.
The new 21.5-inch iMac features a 1.4 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, with Turbo Boost Speeds up to 2.7 GHz, Intel HD 5000 graphics, 8GB of memory and a 500 GB hard drive. Continue reading
Apple today introduced iOS 8, at its World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC), being held June 2-6 in San Francisco, CA.
While iOS 7 was a dramatic makeover, IOS 8 focuses on refining and polishing the mobile OS.
- Faster and more intuitive user experience;
- iCloud Photo Library lets you use your photos and videos more easily across your devices;
- New Messages features to easily share voice, video or photos with just a swipe;
- New Health app that gives you a clear overview of your health and fitness data all
- Predictive typing for Apple’s QuickType keyboard;
- Extended Spotlight capabilities that integrates results from the Web, including articles from Wikipedia, findings from the news and results from places nearby;
- Family Sharing, which lets you share music, purchases, photos and calendars within the same household; and
- iCloud Drive, so you can store files and access them from anywhere.
Key features that may be of interest to musicians: Continue reading
Apple today introduced the latest version of OS X, Yosemite, at the World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC), being held June 2-6 in San Francisco, CA.
Key new features include:
- The UI has been streamlined, making it more iOS-like, but not a shocking change;
- iCloud Drive is located within the Finder and lets you store any type of file and share it across devices;
- Handoff lets you start an activity on one device and pass it to the other; and
- Instant Hotspot makes using your iPhone’s hotspot as easy as connecting to a Wi-Fi network.
In addition to an updated UI, Yosemite features several key features that may have special interest to musicians: Continue reading
Apple has updated Logic Pro X to version 10.0.7,
Here are the key changes in Logic Pro X 10.0.7:
- Now supports 24 processing threads on 12-core Mac Pro models
- The current volume, pan, and send values for all selected tracks can now be inserted at the playhead position
- Enabling Low Latency Mode no longer creates sync issues for Drummer, Ultrabeat, Native Instruments Machine and other plug-ins with integrated step sequencers
- Automation can now be copied and pasted to any location using the Marquee tool
- Adds an option for MIDI volume and pan data to control the instrument plug-in instead of the channel strip
- Resolves several snap and alignment guide issues
- Various fixes that improve XML import and export with Final Cut Pro X
- Contains multiple enhancements to Accessibility
Details on the update below. Continue reading
Editors Keys today introduced a new custom wireless keyboard for Apple’s Logic Pro X software.
The keyboard is based on an official Apple keyboard, but has been modified with custom keys with over 150 Logic Pro X shortcuts.The custom keys put all the most commonly used commands at your fingertips. Continue reading
iFixit has done a teardown of the new Apple Mac Pro, and gives it high marks (8 out of 10) for repairability and ease of upgrading. Continue reading