The developers at Bitwig today released this update/sneak preview that covers VST support and plugin crash protection in the upcoming Bitwig Studio.
Official specs, release date and pricing are still to be announced.
For more info on the new DAW, see our previous Bitwig Studio posts.
MOTU has released Digital Performer 8 for Mac & Windows, the latest version of its audio + MIDI DAW.
Here’s what’s new in DP8:
- 64-bit support – Digital Performer’s 64-bit support ensures that you can take full advantage of all the memory space in your computer for optimum performance from your MOTU desktop studio.
- Windows 7 support – Version 8 brings Digital Performer’s award-winning design and features to Windows 7 and beyond. Operation is almost identical to the Mac version, making it easy to work on either platform.
- 17 new effects plug-ins – Digital Performer’s 17 new plug-ins add to an array of over 80 included effects. You get everything from modeled analog EQ to realistic convolution reverb.
- 15 new themes – Digital Performer gives you dozens of user interface themes that completely transform the look of the app.
- Punch Guard confidence recording – Digital Performer’s new Punch Guard features always captures extra time before and after punch points, so you can simply uncover any additional material with a simple edge edit.
- 100% Cocoa UI for Mac OS X – Many of the third-party plug-ins you’ll use everyday with Digital Performer are in the process of being converted from Carbon to Mac OS X’s ultra-modern Cocoa UI platform, and Digital Performer is 100% ready to host them. Cocoa is the future, and Digital Performer is there.
- New video playback engine – Enjoy full-screen viewing of 720 or 1080 HD video clips on a primary or secondary computer monitor, or on a conventional HDMI or SDI video monitor connected to a MOTU video interface like the HD Express or HDX-SDI.
- In-line control panel – You can now embed the control panel in the consolidated window to conserve screen space. Customize what appears, including the shortcut buttons and editor tools. Pop it in or out at any time.
- Plug-in management – Version 8’s new plug-in chooser lets you organize and quickly find the effect or preset you are looking for. You can also organize all your plug-ins, factory and third-party alike, just the way you prefer, regardless of format.
- Rewire and VST plug-in support – With support for VST plug-ins and Rewire on both Mac and Windows, you can easily move DP projects from one platform to the other seamlessly, with no additional steps required. Just open the project and go.
DP8 is priced at $495. The DP8 upgrade is $195.00. See the MOTU site for details.
via Jon Stubbs
Cakewalk has announced Sonar X2 – the latest version of their digital audio workstation for Windows.
Ohm Force has announced pricing for Ohm Studio, a new DAW designed for real-time online music production, along with a timetable for moving out of the beta stage and into a full release.
Ohm Studio has been in beta testing since the end of May and now has 14K users who have created 21K projects – some solo, others collaborating with partners, and some others taking part in definitively fun public jam at weekly events.
Ohm Force is planning to move Ohm Studio out of beta testing:
- Beta is planned to end in October and fluently transit to the release.
- At that point, user-created content will not be deleted.
- Buyers of the discounted pre-orders will enjoy full access to Ohm Studio for 6 months or forever (see below).
- Non-buyers and newcomers will either go for the limited free account or the 9€/month standard subscription for full access.
2012 Summer NAMM Show: This video, via soundonsoundvideo, features A.I.R. Music Technology product manager Samara Winterfeld introducing Ignite.
Ignite is described as ‘music ideation and creation software’, designed to let you build songs in an organic fashion. Ignite 1.0 is focused specifically on the keyboardist’s workflow.
Beginning in Q3 of 2012, all M-Audio keyboard controllers will ship with Ignite included, and other brands in the inMusic family will include Ignite with select products. This initial product release will be followed by a number of scheduled releases designed to address the complete music creation process.
Developers have announced that MusE 2.0, a major update to the open source DAW for Linux, is now available to download.
MusE aims to be a complete multitrack virtual studio for Linux, it is published under the GNU General Public License.
DarkWave Studio – a free, open source, Digital Audio Workstation for Windows – has been updated to version 4.
Here’s a summary of the features for DarkWave Studio v4:
- Native x64 and x86 Windows Platform Support.
- VST PlugIn Support – Limitlessly Expandable With Instrument and Effects PlugIns.
- Multi Core / Multi CPU Support.
- Full 64-bit Double Precision Floating Point Audio Processing.
- Low Latency ASIO And DirectSound Audio Output Support.
- ES Arpeggiator – For Easily Playing Complicated Arpeggios With A MIDI Keyboard.
- ES ControlChange Mapper – Map Control Change Events From One Index To Another.
- ES MIDI Input – Play Instruments From A Music Keyboard.
- ES MIDI Output – Sequence External MIDI Synthesizers.
- ES Mixer – 8 Track Stereo Mixer With 2 Auxilary Tracks.
- ES DGenR8 – Synthesize Drum Beats With Roland TR-909 Flavour.
- ES BassHead – Top Notch Virtual Analog Subtractive Synthesizer.
- ES SpatialVerb – Realistic Reverb Effects With The Smoothest Sound.
- ES Stomp – Synthesize That Classic Techno Thumping Kick Drum.
- ES AntiAlias – 32x Digital Oversampling Filter.
- ES QuadDelay – For Trippy Echo Effects.
- ES Distort – Basic Overdrive Distortion Effect.
- ES Crunch – Limit Bits Per Sample Anywhere From 16 To 1 Bits.
- ES StereoSplitter – Split An Input Stereo Signal Into Left And Right Output Mono Signals.
- ES StereoJoiner – Combine Left And Right Input Mono Signals Into A Single Output Stereo Signal.
Browser-based virtual studio Soundation Studio has added support for external MIDI recording.
Now you can connect an external keyboard to one of the virtual instruments in Soundation and record directly to the “cloud”. Soundation Studio comes with 4 different synthesizers, a drum machine and a sample player. You can also use the virtual keyboard in Soundation to record a part.