Sunday Synth Jam: This trance peformance by Fabio Lendrum of Out The Water features live vocals and effective use of a Smithson Martin Emulator DVS to add immediacy to the performance, interesting visuals and a clear connection between Lendrum’s actions and the music.
Think electronic dance music artists just go on stage, press play and then wave their hands around?
Here’s what Joel Zimmerman, aka Deadmau5, has to say about it:
We all hit play.
It’s no secret. when it comes to ?live? performance of EDM? that?s about the most it seems you can do anyway.
Given about 1 hour of instruction, anyone with minimal knowledge of Ableton and music tech in general could DO what im doing at a deadmau5 concert.
So – if anyone could do what Deadmau5 and other EDM artists do onstage – what makes these shows worth seeing?
Australian producers Mr. Bill and Will Marshall have teamed up to create a live performance template for Ableton Live, complete with MIDI remote script for the Akai APC40.
Included with this is a stems-based template for the APC40, designed to help producers begin performing their own material live on stage.
Reader Will Marshall sent word that he’s updated his DJ template for Ableton Live and the Akai APC40.
Here’s what he has to say about it:
After a long hiatus, I’ve recently released a new version of my (unexpectedly) popular DJ Template for Ableton and the Akai APC40, which was covered on Synthtopia in 2010.
The new version has VU meters and a custom remote script, as well as a supported/paid version for users who need a hand getting things working.
The above video offers a walkthrough of the DJ template. The video below covers installation and setup:
Serato Itch 2.1 is now available at the Serato site. The latest version features enhancements and bug fixes for all Serato ITCH users.
Here’s what’s new in Serato Itch 2.1:
- Simple Sync mode added for two deck controllers - For quick and easy matching of the tempo and beats of two tracks playing simultaneously.
- SP-6 Hardware control.
- Increased SP-6 Sample Player power, with the addition of hardware controls for each ITCH controller to trigger samples with controller cue point buttons.
Note: New meta data created in Itch 2.1 will not be able to be read in older versions.
Serato Audio Research has released Serato DJ Intro, a new DJ app designed to work with selected hardware controllers, available now as a free download.
The Serato DJ Intro video tells you pretty much nothing about the app – but it looks like it’s basically designed to be an entry-level version in Serato’s DJ software line, to be packaged with hardware controllers. Continue reading
Serato Audio Research has released Serato Scratch Live 2.3, a free update.
The update includes a number of new additions as well as a healthy dose of maintenance fixes.
- Cue Point Labels.
- 64-bit Drivers For Mac.
- Better software THRU mode indication for the SL 2, SL 3 and SL 4.
- Core Audio/ASIO drivers for the SL 3 and Sixty-Eight.
- Improved Scratch Live user interface layout for minimum screen resolutions.
- Added support for the Pioneer CDJ-350.
- Added support for the Pioneer CDJ-850.
- Support for all current Rane Scratch Live Hardware (SL 1, SL 2, SL 3, SL 4, TTM 57SL, Sixty-Eight).
Details below. Continue reading