Expert Sleepers has released the ESX-8MD MIDI/DINsync Expander - an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5. The new module adds eight MIDI/DINsync outputs from one expansion header.
The ES-4/5 Controller software (part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way) allows the ESX-8MD outputs to be used for MIDI output (note – not just MIDI clock output, but as an actual MIDI port, capable of sending any MIDI messages). Since these outputs are driven from an audio connection, they have sample-accurate timing, which no USB MIDI interface can claim. Continue reading
Expert Sleepers has released Silent Way v2.4.0 (all platforms and formats) – the latest version of their system for integrating computers with modular synthesizers.
Here’s what’s new in Silent Way v2.4:
- Added new Run modes and a periodic reset feature to Silent Way Sync.
- Added virtual MIDI input ports to Silent Way ES-4 Controller and ES-5 Controller.
- Added ‘Manual DAC’ feature to Silent Way Step LFO.
- The Audio Unit version now implements Apple’s newer Audio Component API, allowing usage in modern (post-OS X 10.6) hosts that do not support the older Component Manager API.
- Updated Silent Way Soundplane’s OSC support for the new t3d format in the Soundplane Client v1.0 and above.
For details, see the Expert Sleepers site.
This video, via Expert Sleepers, shows one way to get a Polyphonic MicroBrute – use four Arturia MicroBrute synthesizers.
The MicroBrutes are connected via MIDI to an Expert Sleepers ESX-8MD module, driven by the Expert Sleepers Silent Way software. Silent Way takes the polyphonic MIDI generated by the controller keyboard and distributes it between the MicroBrutes, so that each works as one voice of a polysynth. Continue reading
Expert Sleepers has introduced three new modules:
- The ES-40 SPDIF Interface (£94.80) converts a standard S/PDIF input to five channels of expansion headers, which are used in conjunction with the Expert Sleepers ESX range of expanders.
- The ESX-8CV CV Expander (£130.80) is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5, adding eight CV outputs from one expansion header.
- The ESX-8GT mk2 Gate Expander (£54) is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5, adding 8 on/off outputs for use as gates, triggers, clocks etc. from one expansion header.
Here’s a demo of the ES-40: Continue reading
Expert Sleepers has announced their first Max/MSP externals.
These native Max objects support the ES-4, ES-5 and ESX-4CV modules, so it is no longer necessary to use the Silent Way plug-ins to drive these modules from Max. Continue reading
Expert Sleepers has introduced a new way to pimp your Eurorack rig – glow in the dark patch cables.
Expert Sleepers has released version 2.0.0 of Silent Way, its suite of plugins designed to let you use your computer as part of a modular synthesizer system.. The plugins make no sound, but are designed to generate control voltages.
Silent Way v2.0.0 updates include:
- 5 new plug-ins: Silent Way ES-5 Controller, Silent Way ESX-4CV Combiner, Silent Way Follower, Silent Way Learner and Silent Way Soundplane.
- 64 bit support (OS X and Windows).
- New GUI look.
- Added skinning – fully customizable GUIs.
- Added MIDI learn for easy remote control from MIDI control surfaces.
- Added new OSC control features for trivial setup with popular OSC apps such as TouchOSC.
- All plug-ins are now installed in a single bundle (OS X)/dll (Windows).
- Numerous other small fixes and enhancements.
Here’s a demonstration, via Andrew Ostler, of the new Madrona Labs Soundplane controller being used with Expert Sleepers Silent Way to control a Eurorack modular synthesizer.