Can you make music with iPad apps?
In this video, Ableton Live instructor Danny J Lewis demonstrates one approach, recording a variety of iOS apps with Ableton Live.
iOS apps used include:
- Korg MS-20
Check it out and let us know what you think of Lewis’s approach…..and his results.
The latest episode of Sonic Touch takes a look the new iPad, AudioBus and GarageBand 1.2.
Apple’s iPad announcements were unsurprising, but exactly what they needed to do to maintain their dominant place in the tablet market.
The GarageBand for iOS updates, though, make an already useful tool much more useful. I was most interested in the addition of editing tools, but the Sonic Touch guys make the case for digging into the new wireless collaboration capabilities.
Apple today updated GarageBand for iOS.
Here are the highlights:
- GarageBand 1.2 introduces Jam Session, a feature that lets groups of people wirelessly connect their iOS devices to play instruments and record live music together. Jam Session automatically synchronizes the tempo, key and chords of your Touch Instruments. After jamming, everyone?s tracks are automatically collected on your iOS device for you to edit and mix.
- GarageBand also introduces Smart Strings, a new Touch Instrument that allows you to ‘play’ a string orchestra with one finger.
- The new Note Editor is probably the most welcome addition. It allows you to fine tune a Touch Instrument recording instead of replaying it from scratch.
- Integration with iCloud keeps your GarageBand songs up to date across your iOS devices, and you can share your finished songs directly to Facebook, YouTube and SoundCloud.
Interesting updates – especially the note editor.
GarageBand 1.2 will be released today for $4.99. Updates are available for free to existing customers.
At the 2012 NAMM Show, Ion introduced Guitar Apprentice, a full-scale, electric-guitar-style controller that transforms iPad into multi-touch guitar. Is it déjà vu?
Guitar Apprentice is Core MIDI compatible – so it should work with dozens of iPad music apps, including GarageBand.
- Full-scale guitar body with strap pegs
- Fitted iPad holder with 30-pin dock connector
- Lighted fretboard and free guitar-teaching app* teach you basic guitar skills
- App includes built-in effects: distortion, reverb, flanger delay and more*
- Built-in speaker with volume control – play anywhere!
- Access to iPad headphone input for silent practice
- Works with GarageBand and dozens of popular iPad apps
- Core MIDI-compliant