Developer Chris Carlson has released Borderlands 2.0 – a major update to the granular synth for iPad.
Here’s what’s new in Borderlands 2.0:
- Audiobus Sender, Filter, and Receiver support
- AudioShare import and export
- Real time audio input recording and granulation
- Gesture recording and looping for cloud parameters and positions
Save and load “scenes” – presets of clouds, sounds, and automation
- Resonant filters for each grain cloud with per grain randomization
- Bugfixes and more
Here’s the official video introduction to Borderlands 2.0: Continue reading
This video, via John Keston, is a sneak preview of Audiovisual Grain Machine – a app designed for audiovisual granular synthesis.
Here’s what he has to say about Audiovisual Grain Machine: Continue reading
At Musikmesse 2014, Bastl Instruments introduced the microGranny 2.0 – a monophonic granular sampler.
The microGranny 2.0 reads wav samples from microSD card and applies granular algorithms to them. You can also adjust start, end, sample rate (tuned or free run), crush and envelope (attack release).
MIDI Input allows external control of all parameters as well as transposition of the samples, or playing individual grains by different keys.
Here’s a video demo of the microGranny 2 in action: Continue reading
Madrona Labs has released Kaivo, a semi-modular software synthesizer that combines two ways of making sound: granular synthesis and physical modeling.
Developer Randy Jones says:
“Today we release Kaivo, our new software synthesizer. ‘Kaivo’ is Finnish for ‘well,’ as in, a deep well of sounds, and I’ve been working on deepening that well over the last month or so. Kaivo’s models include metal, nylon and gut strings, different sizes of chimes and springs (yes, springs), wooden instrument bodies, membranes and metal plates.
Sound Guru has introduced The Mangle, a new granular synth/sampler plugin for Mac OS X (WIndows version planned).
- Animated granular display – Visualize your grain stream. Individual grains move across the waveform in real time. Amplitude, pitch and envelope are also represented.
- Drag & drop modulation – Creating new modulations is easy – just drag the modulator to its target, then set the amount with in-place markers showing changes.
- Resizable vector interface – The Mangle’s interface is rendered dynamically as vectors – resize it with no loss in quality. Handy for live performance.
- Dual sequencers – The Mangle is also great for making rhythmic patterns. A pair of sequencers can be used to modulate any parameter.
- Multiband waveform display – Quickly and easily see where high, mid and low frequencies are in your audio, for clearer sound setup and tweaking.
- Multi-timbral – Each instance of the plugin has 8 full ‘slots’ each with their own audio & parameters. Map them to any MIDI range for multi-timbral patches.
Here’s a demo of The Mangle in action: Continue reading
DNBAPP has released ASlicer – a granular synthesis based audio manipulation tool for iOS.
ASlicer records to a sound buffer through the internal microphone (or AudioBus), from an audio file (or both simultaneously).
During the recording process, the application detects hit points, which after the recording process has completed it uses to assign a series of slices to each of the app’s 16 Tiles. Slice assignment can be changed manually afterwards if so desired.
Each of the sixteen tiles is a playback machine in its own right with it’s own set of assignable playback parameters and Fx settings, which can be mixed and adjusted within each of the Tiles’ Pad mode. Patterns of tiles can be recorded and played back using the tile sequencer panel. Continue reading
apeSoft has updated iDensity, its granular synthesizer for iOS, adding support for live input granulation via Mic, Line or AudioBus and more.
Here’s what’s new in iDensity 1.5:
- Live Input Granulation via Mic/Line or Audiobus Effect/Receiver
- Sample load pitch bug fixed
- New Fine Controls for slider parameters
- Keyboard value input for all parameters
- Keyboard add or Edit Midi CC and CH
- Randomize Parameters
- iPhone UI improvements
- Audio Paste parse URL improved
- Open In… Audiofiles (sound preview)
- Snapshots.plist e-mail send
- HVPad send Touch Down message
- Audiobus SDKs update
The Standuino microGranny is pocket sized handmade granular sampler.
The microGranny uses microSD card to store samples. You can adjust many parameters of the samples and trigger them by MIDI.
Here’s a video introduction: Continue reading