This pair of videos, via iosmusician, demonstrates a jailbreak hack that allows Camera Connection Kit support on the iPhone & iPod touch.
The first video, above, shows the hack being used to support an Oxygen 49 USB MIDI controller. The second, below, demonstrates using an Apogee One audio interface.
Check out the demos and let us know what you think. Is Camera Connection Kit support something you’d jailbreak your device for? And should Apple support this on the iPhone, out-of-the-box?
Avid has introduced the M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 – a portable USB-powered 32-note keyboard MIDI controller that offers plug-and-play operation with your computer or iPad. Continue reading
Developer Audeonic Apps has introduced MidiBridge – a utility that interconnects all MIDI interfaces (external and network) on an iOS device.
Supported external interfaces include Line 6 Midi Mobilizer I and Midi Mobilizer II, IK Multimedia iRig MIDI and all other CoreMIDI devices that are compatible with iOS via the USB camera kit on iPad. For CoreMIDI support, iOS 4.2 or greater is required.
You can use MidiBridge to:
- Connect any external MIDI equipment to a remote computer or other iOS device (iOS > 4.2) wirelessly
- Clone MIDI data from any input to any set of outputs
- Filter incoming MIDI data on each input
- Filter outgoing MIDI data on each output
- Merge incoming inputs to one or more outputs
- Split incoming MIDI data (using filters) across any set of outputs
- Events can be filtered by type (Note/Program/Controller/Sysex/Aftertouch/TimeSong) and MIDI channel
- MIDI interface ports can be given a user friendly name
- Initiates CoreMIDI network connections from your iOS device
- Visual indication of what is connected to where at all times
- Visual indication of MIDI events received, sent and blocked
- Visual indication of CoreMIDI network connections
- Highlight all connections to/from any MIDI input or output.
- Keeps track of your MIDI interfaces and restores connections/filters automatically
- MidiBridge is delivered as a universal binary so purchase once and run on all iOS devices you own
- Streamlined efficient code passes/filters events very quickly
See the Audeonic site for details. MIDIBridge is $8.99 in the App Store.
If you’ve used MIDIBridge, leave a comment with your thoughts!
This is a sneak preview of the White Noise Audio Genome MIDI Sequencer For iPad.
Genome MIDI Sequencer (GMS) is a pattern based MIDI sequencer. You can use it to sequence single patterns or an entire 16-track song. It can sync to your drum machines and arpeggiators by sending and receiving MIDI clock messages. General MIDI files can also be exported and imported for integration with desktop apps.
- CoreMIDI, Line6 Mobilizer Mk I & II compatible
- Supports Network MIDI
- Sends and Receives MIDI Clock Sync, Start and Stop events
- Also sends Note On, Note Off, Pitch Bend, Aftertouch, Channel Pressure and CC’s
- Pattern Based, pattern changes occur on bar boundaries so song stays in sync
- On screen keyboard interface
- Up to 16 simultaneous tracks, unlimited number of patterns
- Song / live modes
- Record incoming CC’s and Notes
- Undo / redo for most actions
VirSyn has released Addictive Synth, a virtual synthesizer for iPad.
Here’s what they have to say about Addictive Synth:
It was never so easy to create beautiful sounds and driving loops. The unique dynamic wavetable synthesis allows you to explore an unprecedented wide range of sonic territory. From acid loops, crystal clear percussions, realistic human choirs to complex musical sound scapes nothing seems impossible with only a handful parameters to tweak.
Together with the intelligent randomizer for both sounds and arpeggios you will loose any sense of time and space while exploring unknown sonic territories. Right from the beginning you’ll understand why it’s named Addictive.
It supports CoreMIDI via the iPad Camera Connection Kit.
We haven’t seen anything official on this – but it looks like iOS 5 – the new version of the iPhone operating system, will support MIDI and audio, like the iPad.
This video captures a demo of using a USB MIDI keyboard with an iPhone 4, via the iPad Camera Connection Kit.
Details below. Continue reading
iSyn Poly features three synthesizers and a drum machine.
Each synthesizer is a full-featured analog modeling synth with three oscillators, a classic 24 db/oct ladder-style lowpass filter, independent filter and amp envelope generators, and full modulation routings. Continue reading