In this series of videos from Wave Alchemy, sound designer Matt Urmenyi offers tips and advice on how to synthesize drum sounds with an analog synthesizer. using a Korg MS-20 Mini.
In the 5-part series, Urmenyi demonstrates how to use the MS-20 Mini to create kick drum, snare drum, cymbal, tom and conga sounds.
To accompany this video series, Wave Alchemy has released a free sample library of analog drum sounds, synthesized using the Korg MS-20 Mini. MS-20 Mini Drums offers 483 drum samples and can be downloaded for free. Continue reading
Grammy-winning producer Steve Levine fiddles around plugging VOX Tone Garage guitar effects pedals (specifically, Double Deca and Trike Fuzz) in to the Korg MS-20 Mini.
Sunday Synth Jam: This video captures a live 70s-inspired ‘ambient psychedelic’ jam session by VolcaRock.
KORG VOLCA SET UP:
- Volca Bass & Volca Beats into the sub mixer Behringer Xenyx 802
SYNTH RACK SETUP (*used on this track)
- Roland Juno 60 (with Kenton MIDI PCB MK II)*
- Doepfer MS 404
- Waldorf Puls I
- Waldorf Microwave I (with Access Programmer)
- Nord Modular Rack*
- Emu Proteus 2000
- Yamaha Tx81z
- Jomox Xbase 09 (special edition with Jazbase upgrade)*
- Roland Rhythm 77
- Roland DR-880
- all Synths run into Soundcraft Spirit M12 into Main Mixer (TL Audio Fat Track)
Send FX Spirit M12:
- Line 6 Echo Pro (Tape dub Delay)
- Lexicon MPX 100 (Hall/Chamber)
SEQUENCER / MIDI KEYS: (*used on this track)
- Yamaha RM1x* (Master Clock, no internal sounds used)
- Analogue Solutions Europa
- Roland PC 200 MKII
- Miditech Midistart Midi 25*
- Godin LGX-SA with Pedals in the following order (*used for this track)
- Barber Tone Press*
- Barber Small Fry*
- EHX Micro Pog*
- EHX Superego*
- EHX Neo Clone (in Superego FX-Loop)*
- EHX Small Stone (in Superego FX-Loop*)
- Colorsound Tremolo Clone (in Superego FX-Loop)*
- Neutron Filter (Mutron III Clone)*
- Tech 21 Blonde V2*
- Dunlop Volume Pedal GCB-80*
- TC Electronic SCF Chorus Stereo Out*
- Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere Stereo in & Out
- EHX Memory Man Deluxe Tap Delay 1100 (R)*
- Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter (L)*
- Neunaber Wet Stereo Reverb (with Shimmer Update 1.0)*
- Boomerang III Phrase Sampler/Looper Stereo* for live guitar loop &drone/soundscapes
- into Main Mixer TL Audio Fat Track
- all FX are on the Pedaltrain SC Pro
In this video, Korg’s Rich Formidoni shares an MS-20 tip – the ‘rubber band-pass filter’. Continue reading
In this video, Marcus Padrini compares the Korg MS-20 mini and iMS-20 for iPad – and demonstrates that you can’t rely on your eyes to get patches to match, but if you use your ears, you can get a very close match. Continue reading
Here’s a fun example of sound design on the Korg MS-20 mini.
Korg USA’s Rich Formidoni experiments with the MS-20 mini analog synthesizer, and demonstrates how to ‘hotwire’ it and start it up.
Technical details below: Continue reading
In this video, YouTube user AnalogAudio1 takes a break from the usual exploration of vintage analog gear to explore the sounds of the new Korg MS-20 Mini analog synthesizer.
The video doesn’t discuss the features of the Mini, instead focusing on the range of sounds that are possible with the new analog synth. Continue reading
Japanese reader Masaki Higuchi is experimenting with using MIDI to control the littleBits Synth Kit.
In the video above, Higuchi uses the Synth Kit to play back a MIDI file of Jean-Jacques Perrey and Gershon Kingsley’s Baroque Hoedown, well known for its use in Disney’s Main Street Electrical Parade.
Here is the approach that Higuchi used: Continue reading