MusicTech magazine recently published a guide to tuning your computer for audio. It covers topics like the performance benefits of hard drives, CPUs, additional RAM, SSDs and decluttering your hard drive.
One thing that’s striking about the article, though, is that it’s mostly stuff that OS X users never think about. As the article notes:
Mac will provide a better all-round solution for many users, thanks to the excellent build quality and the stability of Mac OS X.
If on the other hand you prefer much wider customization options or perhaps use a Windows-only DAW, a PC can offer more bang for your buck.
When it comes to Synthtopia readers, Windows is the most common platform used by people visiting the site, followed closely by Mac and iOS…… Continue reading
Monoplugs has announced that B-Step 2, an update to its MIDI sequencer for iPad, Linux, Mac & Windows, will be available Oct 24.
Here’s a sneak preview: Continue reading
This video, via developer Alexander Zolotov, demonstrates using Virtual ANS to convert fractal images into synthesized sound. Continue reading
Bitwig has announced that Bitwig Studio, the highly anticipated and long-gestating new DAW, is now available for Linux, Mac & Windows.
Here’s the text of their announcement:
The Bitwig Team would like to take this special moment to thank you. Your excitement and encouragement brought us to a great milestone today. Bitwig Studio 1.0 is an extraordinary product of hard work over the past few years, dedicated to offering a new solution to musicians everywhere, and a promise of great things to come.
We will continue to push forward with new ideas, and we welcome your support and feedback in the future.
Claes, Dom, Fredrik, Falko, Genys, Mea, Placidus, Nick, Nick M, Rade, Seba, and Volker.
Details below. Continue reading
Developer Alexander Zolotov has released Virtual ANS – a software simulator of the unique Russian synthesizer ANS.
The original ANS is a photoelectronic microtonal/spectral musical instrument created by Russian engineer Evgeny Murzin, from 1938 to 1958. Murzin named his invention in honor of the composer Alexander Nikolayevich Scriabin.
Virtual ANS is a full-featured tool which allows you to create unusual, deep, atmospheric sounds. It’s multi-platform, with versions for iOS, Mac, Windows, Linux & Android.
With ANS, you can draw a complete piece of music, or convert sound to image (sonogram) and then make some complex sonogram modifications. According to Zolotov, “the potential of the program has not been explored yet, so it is…for people who are searching for something new”.
Here’s an example of ANS in action on iOS: Continue reading
Tracktion Software Corporation (TSC) has announced that Tracktion 4 is now available for 64-bit Linux systems, as a public beta.
The Linux version joins the Mac & WIndows versions of Tracktion 4, introduced at this year’s NAMM Show.
“Linux users, much like Tracktion users, have always been on the cutting edge of technology and willing to look beyond the status quo for alternative solutions,” explained Julian Storer, creator and chief developer of Tracktion software. Continue reading
Illformed has released Glitch 2, an audio effect plugin for Linux, Mac & Windows.
Glitch features a new sequencer which can play multiple effects simultaneously, with the ability to trigger unique scenes from every note on your keyboard, Glitch can be ‘as gentle or as brutal as you like’.
- Each program consists of 128 scenes that can be triggered via MIDI notes. Each scene has its own unique sequencer pattern, timing, and effect settings, allowing you to create tons of unique variations.
- Multi-lane sequencer allows many effects to be played simultaneously, to create interesting layered sounds.
- Improved sequencer timing controls to better match your groove and song structure.
- Intuitive pattern editor with drag’n’drop. Draw, erase, resize, split and join blocks with ease.
- 9 effect modules designed to slice, dice, chop, screw, twist, turn and mangle your sounds.
- Tempo-synced effects can easily be dialled in to precise musical timings such as 16th notes, 8th note triplets, and so on.
- Filter, mix, pan and volume controls on each module, to help shape and fine-tune the output.
- Randomize, Mutate, Glitch
- Randomize and Mutate functions can be found at almost every level. Mutate a single effect to get slightly different parameter variations, or instantly Randomize everything in the entire scene to create unexpected, chaotic and inspiring results.
Glitch 2 is available now for $59.95.
Ardour, the free and open source DAW for Linux, has been updated to version 3.0. A Mac version is also available, but has not been updated to V3 yet.
Here’s what’s new in Ardour 3.0:
- MIDI recording, playback and editing, including plugin instrument support for LV2, VST and AudioUnits
- Parallelization of DSP operations to use any number of processors
- Matrix-style patching/routing
- Overhauled export system (multiple formats at once, stem exports, multichannel exports)
Details below. Continue reading