Mastering engineering Ian Shepherd takes a look at studio acoustic treatment in the latest of his video series on Building a Home Mastering Studio.
While Shepherd’s goal is to be able to do useful mastering tasks in his home studio, much of the information will be useful to anyone planning a home studio. Continue reading
Positive Grid, the makers of mobile apps BIAS and JamUp, have released Final Touch, described as a ‘complete mastering system for iPad’.
Final touch combines Maximizer, Pre and Post Equalizer, 4-Band Dynamics, Stereo Imager, Reverb and Dithering into one integrated app.
Here’s the official video intro:
Here’s part 2 of mastering engineer Ian Shepherd’s series of videos on building a home mastering studio.
Note that Shepherd is not intending to cover building a professional mastering studio, but rather a home studio that will allow him to do useful work. Much of the information that he’s covering may be useful to anyone building a home studio. Continue reading
Mastering engineer Ian Shepherd is kicking off a new series on building a home mastering studio. Continue reading
IK Multimedia announced today a new release of its mixing and mastering plug-in, T-RackS CS 4.5.
T-RackS Custom Shop 4.5 offers a mixing and mastering shell system that enables the user to have up to 26 outboard processors all available in one application for your DAW or desktop, singularly or together, for the “highest-end sonic experience.”
The new version of T-RackS CS includes a model of what some consider the “holy grail” of mastering EQs, the Master EQ 432, along with enhancements of the T-RackS Custom Shop environment aimed at streamlining its usability for existing and new users.
Details after the break: Continue reading
Audio Mastering for iPad, described as “the first fully functional professional quality audio mastering application for iPad”, has been updated to version 2.
Here’s what’s new in Audio Mastering version 2:
- Fully updated 32-bit audio processing algorithms.
- Standard and Advanced processing control modes.
- Parametric equalizer in addition to graphic.
- Spectrum analyzer with switching connection points.
- Switchable crossover frequency for Stereo Imaging.
- Additional controls for Maximizer.
- Separate adjustment of input level reduction.
- Improved controls for presets.
- Compare mode for presets in each track.
- Inter-App Audio supported.
Trent Reznor is taking a stand in the ‘loudness wars’ by offering the latest Nine Inch Nails album, Hesitation Marks, mastered two different ways:
- the standard, ‘loud’ mastering (which is what you’ll find on the CD, on iTunes, and everywhere else); and
- an alternate ‘audiophile’ mastering, designed for audiophiles and people with an understanding of the mastering process.
The ‘loudness wars’ is the trend for music to be mastered with greater and greater compression, which results in tracks sounding ‘louder’, at the expense of dynamic range. According to the band, the standard ‘loud’ version will be preferable for most listeners, but the ‘audiophile’ version is a more accurate reflection of the music. Continue reading
iMusicAlbum has updated Audio Mastering for iPad, adding AudioBus support and more.
Here’s what’s new in Audio Mastering for iPad:
- Support Audiobus as Effect or Output.
- Recording from Audiobus Effects/Output or from external input.
- Record button on Audiobus connection panel.
- Auto start recording at signal presence.
- Solo mode for Equalizer bands.
- High-quality sample rate converter to 44/48 kHz with 16/24 bits.
- Some minor bugs fixed.