Keyboard Magazine’s Mitchell Sigman reviews the new Alesis Vortex USB/MIDI keytar controller.
Sigman focuses on the the Vortex’s unique accelerometer control. The Vortex features a MIDI-assignable accelerometer, so you can control virtually any parameter by moving the Vortex?s neck: volume swells, pitch bends, vibratos, filter cutoffs, etc. Continue reading
Back in 2008 when the App Store was very young, Yonac released miniSynth, the very first iOS synthesizer.
Now Yonac has updated the soft synth, releasing miniSynth 2. It’s been updated with Audiobus output, audio copy/paste, SoundCloud support and MIDI In port for playing miniSynth with an external controller or a virtual-MIDI app.
Better yet – it’s a free download! Continue reading
Developer Nikolozi Meladze has released Easy MIDI Free – a free app that turns your Mac keyboard into a MIDI controller.
Easy MIDI Free sends MIDI notes messages to any soft synth or DAW such as GarageBand, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools and Digital Performer. This is useful if you want to jot down some musical ideas when you’re away from a hardware MIDI controller. You can even control CoreMIDI iOS apps or hardware synth via MIDI interface. Continue reading
This video, via DJ Tech Tool’s Ean Golden, captures a recent interview with electronic music pioneers Dave Smith (the Prophet V, MIDI) and Roger Linn (the LinnDrum, the MPC).
The interview focuses on the key technologies that Linn & Smith have been involved with and their uses for making electronic music.
Igor Vasiliev has released an update to MIDI Pattern Sequencer, a multitouch sequencer for the iPad.
Here’s what’s new in MIDI Pattern Sequencer v1.2:
- MIDI presets can set initial parameters for tracks such as Bank/Program and CC/RPN/NRPN controllers (learn mode available).
- Presets can be sent at start of playback/recording or at selecting pattern/song or sent at any time using hotkey.
- Hotkeys panel is available in any mode with buttons Start/Stop playback, Send presets, Clear track, Clear automation.
- Hotkey to lock external input to prevent unintended changing pattern notes and automation.
- Export complete song or individual patterns to MIDI files (include automation).
- Possibility upload and download complete project files to copy on another iPad or backup.
- Access through any Web browser to MIDI and project files in local WiFi network.
- Copying entire measure or defined area to clipboard and paste in specified position.
- Changing number of patterns in project and song pages (increase).
- Fixed some minor bugs.
Developer Insideout has released Super Manetron - a MIDI Mellotron app for iPhone and iPod touch.
The sounds for Super Manetron were sampled from a Mellotron M400S (serial number 761), manufactured in the 70′s.
Here’s a demo of Super Manetron in action: Continue reading