The latest episode of the Art + Music + Technology podcast is an interview with electronic instrument designer Keith McMillen of Keith McMillen Instruments (KMI).
McMillen has been active as an instrument designer for nearly thirty years. In that time, he has managed music technology departments at Gibson, Harmon Kardon and other companies and created a variety of new instruments, ranging from advanced stringed instruments at Zeta Music to new types of music controllers at KMI. Continue reading
To celebrate the 1 year anniversary of QuNexus MIDI controller, Keith McMillen Instruments has announced the QuNexus Video Contest.
The Grand Prize Winner will receive 2 KMI controllers of his or her choice. The First Runner Up will receive 1 KMI controller of his or her choice.
Here’s what they have to say about the contest: Continue reading
Keith McMillen Instruments today confirmed that its QuNexus controller works natively with iOS 7, and can be powered by your iPhone or iPad without any additional software drivers.
The QuNexus captures polyphonic aftertouch, which makes it a powerful option for mobile setups.
QuNexus is class compliant and should work natively with any system that supports MIDI.
Keith McMillen Instruments has announced plans for an IndieGoGo campaign to fund the KMI Rogue – an accessory that turns the QuNeo into a wireless controller.
- Rogue attaches quickly to the bottom of your QuNeo with low-profile Velcro.
- Battery life for Rogue exceeds 12 hours (in KMI”s time-trials, it worked over 16 hours).
- Rogue uses advanced radio technology with a 2.45GHz ISM (Industrial, Scientific and Medical) band.
- With changeable hi-gain antennas attached to the USB dongle, wireless range can be tailored to your needs from 50 to 200 meters.
- LEDs on the Rogue indicate RF link status, battery life and charging activity for instant visual feedback.
- QuNeo’s intelligent LED display is fully programmable and data-rich; you will rarely have to look at your computer screen.
See the video below for technical details on the Rogue: Continue reading
This user video, via guinness2u1, demonstrates using the Keith McMillen QuNexus controller as a MIDI to CV converter and as a control voltage keyboard. Continue reading
Want to get more expression out of your keyboard?
One way is to put it on wheels – as this video of Mark Steiner‘s ‘Wobble Wagon’ demonstrates. Continue reading
Here’s a video demo of the Keith McMillen Instruments QuNexus being used as a control voltage controller with a modular synthesizer. Continue reading
Sunday Synth Jam: Jazz pianist Erika Oba performs George Gershwin’s Summertime, using a Keith McMillen Instruments QuNexus controller. Continue reading