Developer Jakob Penca has released STROM – described as ‘an incredibly fun sampler’ for the iPad. It also offers tight integration with the Elektron Analog Rytm.
STROM lets you record up to 10 seconds of audio, slice and sequence it and resample it to create something new.
The interface lets you sequence your source material in unique ways. You can always resample what you play, and you can even edit slices while you are playing them. Continue reading
- Import any type of sound and automatic generation of the scale of sounds (8 octaves)
- Ability to store an ‘infinite’ number sounds using the archive of sounds (“Samples Archive”) of “midi Sampler”
- “Samples Collection” with many sound samples free downloadable
- “General MIDI samples” FREE library downloadable from the “Samples Collection”
- Two independent keyboards multi-touch (24 + 24 keys) with independent octaves control for each keyboard
- Ability to receive the MIDI messages from an external MIDI keyboard / MIDI device (with independent octaves control)
- Filter for the MIDI IN messages
- “Bending” control to change the sound in real time
- “Sample Start Position” control to remove the initial part of a sound sample (eg silence) by specifying the start time instant of the sample (AUDIO CUT FEATURE)
- “Sustain Pedal”
- Multi voices (up to 96)
- Default “GRAND PIANO” sample
- Ability of “recording” of musical patterns during live performances:
- enabling the recording (using the “midi Sampler” recording button), “midi Sampler” will record (audio file) the music played by the user using the keyboard (multi-touch keyboards or external MIDI keyboard)
midi Sampler is available for US $2.99 in the App Store.
If you’ve used midi Sampler, let us know what you think of it!
Developer Terry Demco has released an update to VoKey, a software sampler for iOS, adding AudioBus support and more.
Here’s what’s new in VoKey 1.5:
- Audiobus Support
- Map to Keys – Select multiple regions of a sample to be mapped to separate keys on the keyboard.
Developers Brio Taliaferro, Alessandro Contini & Daniele Guevara have released CloudSynth – a free app that lets you browse and play sounds from SoundCloud. Continue reading
Big Robot Studios has introduced Beat Shuffler – an iPad music app that slices loops and allows you to sequence the slices. Beat Shuffler is inspired by the mlrv sampling instrument, for the Monome and other grid devices.
- 6 tracks for loops.
- Ability to import WAV and MP3 files.
- iOS File Sharing import for exchanging files with the app.
- A mixer.
- A master channel with effects.
- A separate channel for each of the tracks, with effects.
- Available effects: Delay and Low Pass Filter.
Planned features include Audio Clipboard support to import loops from other apps and an expanded loop library.
Beat Shuffler is currently $2.99 in the App Store.
MOTU is now shipping MachFive 3.0, a major update to their universal software sampler for Mac & Windows.
Version 3.0 includes a new user interface design, an extensive 45 GB sound library, seven signature instruments based on new scripting technology, a new hybrid synthesis engine, licensed algorithms from the IRCAM research institute, and many other new features and enhancements.
Here’s a guide to what’s new in MOTU MachFive 3.0.
Native Instruments has introduced KONTAKT 5, the next generation of its software sampler.
Kontakt 5 offers enhanced sound shaping through a host of new filters and effect algorithms, time-stretching, vintage sampling modes, and more:
- KONTAKT 5 introduces a new suite of filters. Ranging from classic analog-style ladder and state-variable models to modern formant filters, some of the 37 new filters also employ the unique new “Adaptive Resonance” concept, which automatically manages the filter characteristics to prevent unpleasant sonic artifacts from excessive resonance peaks.
- The new “TimeMachine Pro” time-stretching algorithm in KONTAKT 5 enables ‘unprecedented sound quality’ for harmonic solo instruments and similar demanding source material.
- The effect assortment in KONTAKT has been extended with several key additions that focus on studio-style sound processing.The new “Solid G-EQ” and “Solid Bus Comp” algorithms – derived from the upcoming SOLID MIX SERIES – enable studio-grade equalization and compression, while the separately available TRANSIENT DESIGNER has been integrated into the effect arsenal of KONTAKT in its original form. Additionally, a new analog-modeled Tape Saturator can add natural compression and subtle organic overdrive, while the acclaimed vintage sampling modes from Native Instruments’ groove-production system MASCHINE have been integrated into the feature set of KONTAKT 5 as well to provide additional flavors of charismatic “vintage dirt”.
- KONTAKT 5 introduces both a powerful new “instrument bus” system as well as KSP-based MIDI file support. While the 16 internal stereo busses with their separate insert chains open up greatly increased routing flexibility, the MIDI file functions in the Kontakt Script Processor enable the creation of advanced types of KONTAKT-based instruments with versatile integrated MIDI playback features, as demonstrated in the upcoming separate KONTAKT-based STUDIO DRUMMER instrument.
- On top of its 43 GB factory library with its eight separate instrument collections, KONTAKT 5 also includes a free download of the new KONTAKT-based RETRO MACHINES MK2 instrument, which offers an assortment of highly sought-after classic synthesizers complete with vintage-style arpeggiator and chord player, and also takes advantage of the new analog-type filter models.
KONTAKT 5 will be available in September 2011 for $399 / 379 EUR. It’s also available in the Komplete 8 and Komplete 8 Ultimate bundles. Upgrade pricing is available.