Going to be in NYC two weeks from now? The NY Theremin Society is offering a Theremin workshop for kids (and for grown-ups later in the day) with renowned thereminists Dorit Chrysler, Charlie Hobbs and Rob Schwimmer.
The classes are Sunday, October 5 at Pioneer Works in Brooklyn (159 Pioneer St (Red Hook)). Supported by Moog Music, there’s a class for 4 – 6 year-olds in the morning, and for kids ages 7 and up in the afternoon.
The “kid course” objectives seem pretty straightforward: “Learn how to play the theremin and have fun at the same time. How do the 5 senses relate to the theremin? Train your ear by understanding the basic principle of sound and motion.”
In this series of videos, thereminist Carolina Eyck shares her approach to theremin performance, covering tuning, technique, phrasing, vibrato and more. Continue reading
Thereminist Carolina Eyck gives a short demonstration (in Japanese) on Theremin-playing techniques. Continue reading
The m!lTone - described as ‘a portable hands-free ultrasonic synthesizer, MIDI controller & more’ – is now under development as a Kickstarter project.
- Have hands-free control with up to 2 ultrasonic sensors for Continuous, Weighted, & Discrete “Air” functionality
- Control video and lights (using MIDI & third party software).
- Uses a very popular and open source code base that is Arduino compatible
- Play and explore different sounds and moods with over 200 scales from all over the
- world including 40 Quarter Tone maqams (scales)
- Small, lightweight, and portable
- Built-in speaker
- DC adapter, 9V battery or solar powered.
- Backlit 2×16 LCD display (White on Blue)
- Wooden enclosure with randomly selected exotic veneer
- The m!lTone is fully programmable to change its sounds and functionality
- Audio control using the body
Here’s the official intro video: Continue reading
Developer Kai Aras has introduced Theremidi, an iPad patch editor and realtime controller for the Moog Theremini. It’s now in beta.
Theremidi offers three key functions:
- Controller – Realtime control over all available MIDI commands and parameters.
- Patch Editor – Create new patches or customize existing ones.
- Library – Store your favorite patches directly on your Theremini while keeping your entire library on your iPad.
Sunday Synth Jam: In this video, a quartet of Grégoire Blanc plays Beethoven’s 7th Symphony on theremin.
Today is the birthday of inventor Leon Theremin, born August 15, 1896 in Saint Petersburg. He’s best known for his invention of the theremin, played here by virtuoso Peter Pringle.
Pringle performs Ombra di Nube, written in 1935 by Italian composer and Roman Catholic priest, Licinio Refice. Continue reading
In this radio commentary, ‘Engineerguy‘ Bill Hammack discusses the theremin, and how it lead to one the music industry’s most fundamental assets, the electronic synthesizer. Continue reading