At the 2014 NAMM Show, Moog Music introduced the Theremini – a new take on the theremin that offers traditional analog control, combined with an advanced synthesis engine.
The Theremini comes with 32 patch presets – but when we talked with Moog at NAMM, they told us that they were working on a patch editor that would let you create custom patches for it.
Today, Moog released Theremini Advanced Software Editor, a free iPad app that unlocks the sound design potential of the new theremin. (Windows and OS X versions are also planned). Here are the details….. Continue reading
Sunday Synth Jam: In this video, multi-instrumentalist Peter Pringle performs In Trutina, from Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana.
Here’s what he has to say about it: Continue reading
Going to be in NYC two weeks from now? The NY Theremin Society is offering a Theremin workshop for kids (and for grown-ups later in the day) with renowned thereminists Dorit Chrysler, Charlie Hobbs and Rob Schwimmer.
The classes are Sunday, October 5 at Pioneer Works in Brooklyn (159 Pioneer St (Red Hook)). Supported by Moog Music, there’s a class for 4 – 6 year-olds in the morning, and for kids ages 7 and up in the afternoon.
The “kid course” objectives seem pretty straightforward: “Learn how to play the theremin and have fun at the same time. How do the 5 senses relate to the theremin? Train your ear by understanding the basic principle of sound and motion.”
In this series of videos, thereminist Carolina Eyck shares her approach to theremin performance, covering tuning, technique, phrasing, vibrato and more. Continue reading
Thereminist Carolina Eyck gives a short demonstration (in Japanese) on Theremin-playing techniques. Continue reading
The m!lTone – described as ‘a portable hands-free ultrasonic synthesizer, MIDI controller & more’ – is now under development as a Kickstarter project.
- Have hands-free control with up to 2 ultrasonic sensors for Continuous, Weighted, & Discrete “Air” functionality
- Control video and lights (using MIDI & third party software).
- Uses a very popular and open source code base that is Arduino compatible
- Play and explore different sounds and moods with over 200 scales from all over the
- world including 40 Quarter Tone maqams (scales)
- Small, lightweight, and portable
- Built-in speaker
- DC adapter, 9V battery or solar powered.
- Backlit 2×16 LCD display (White on Blue)
- Wooden enclosure with randomly selected exotic veneer
- The m!lTone is fully programmable to change its sounds and functionality
- Audio control using the body
Here’s the official intro video: Continue reading
Developer Kai Aras has introduced Theremidi, an iPad patch editor and realtime controller for the Moog Theremini. It’s now in beta.
Theremidi offers three key functions:
- Controller – Realtime control over all available MIDI commands and parameters.
- Patch Editor – Create new patches or customize existing ones.
- Library – Store your favorite patches directly on your Theremini while keeping your entire library on your iPad.
Sunday Synth Jam: In this video, a quartet of Grégoire Blanc plays Beethoven’s 7th Symphony on theremin.