Need help in choosing first synth

Open forum for anything about synthesizers.

Need help in choosing first synth

Postby deafmetal85 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm

I have been into doing dark experimental/noise music for a few years now, and wanted to purchase a synthesizer to add to my arsenal. I listen to pretty much everything from Mories from bands like Gnaw Their Tongues, Aderlating, Seirom, etc, and also Lustmord, Northern Haunt, Nekrasov, Nordvargr, and so on (I hope someone on this forum knows of at least one of these to get an idea on what I want to do). I have been looking at a few synths for a while now and have been going crazy trying to figure out which one to get. I want to keep within a $400 price range, and have been looking at the following synths...Microkorg (and the XL), Novation Ultranova and Mininova, Akai Miniak, and a few others, and I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction since I keep seeing good/bad reviews of everything and I'm back to square one. Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post
deafmetal85

Re: Need help in choosing first synth

Postby jlewin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:54 am

Of the synths that you mentioned, the MiniNova is the newest and is more powerful than the other mini-synths. It's very powerful and very hands-on, but you'll need to spend some time with the manual if you want to get the most out of it.
When I'm not in the forum, I'm listening to Electronic music, especially techno music.
jlewin
Site Admin

Re: Need help in choosing first synth

Postby Darrenm » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 pm

I have a synth for sale in excellent condition, it is the Alesis Micron. It is actually the exact same synth as the Miniak by Akai but Akai was merged with Alesis and they decided to rerelease the Micron as the Miniak which are both a rerelease of the much larger but older Alesis Ion.

If you are looking for industrial sounds and dark themes, the Micron is pretty good at that because it has pretty decent FM Synthesis features which can be used to produce harsh tones and screaming synth sounds if you know what your doing.

The Miniak/Micron is also a built in step sequencer and drum machine and has an advanced and useful display i found much more visual and helpful than the mininova, also it has normal sized keys and i believe 39 of them.

Contact me for more information, i will give you a good price way below $400. I am selling it because i want to buy an MS2000

mail me at darren_mittermeier@hotmail.com
Darrenm

Return to Synth Talk