Please help! I'm kinda lost. Where do I start?

Open forum for anything about synthesizers.

Please help! I'm kinda lost. Where do I start?

Postby Jeffkilledjoe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 am

I really like the music played with synthesizers and have taken an interest in them. I'd like to learn but I don't know where to start and have never played piano or any kind of keyboard before. I have enough money for a microKorg. Would that work okay? I'd like to play multiple genres like metalcore (Attack Attack, Asking Alexandria) amd electronica. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
Jeffkilledjoe

Re: Please help! I'm kinda lost. Where do I start?

Postby jlewin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 am

Jeffkilledjoe wrote:I really like the music played with synthesizers and have taken an interest in them. I'd like to learn but I don't know where to start and have never played piano or any kind of keyboard before. I have enough money for a microKorg. Would that work okay? I'd like to play multiple genres like metalcore (Attack Attack, Asking Alexandria) amd electronica. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Do you have a software setup?

If you want to play synths, a good place to start is with a basic but powerful synth, like the Mininova or microKorg. But if you want to make tracks, you'd probably be better off getting a software audio workstation, which includes software synths. Examples are Logic, Propellerhead Reason and Ableton Live.
When I'm not in the forum, I'm listening to Electronic music, especially techno music.
jlewin
Site Admin

Postby navigateur » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 am

Hey guys, new to the forum, and would have to agree with jlewin!

There are a TON of free VST (virtual studio technology) synthesizers out there that replicate a lot of the famous synths you hear on a lot of recordings these days (Roland Juno, Moog Minimoog, etc). In my opinion, I would hold off on buying a MicroKorg, and maybe look into getting a small MIDI Keyboard off of eBay or something. Depending on what you want you could get a nice 25 key controller like the Akai MPK25 or M-Audio Axiom (the Axioms are even cheaper than the Akais and the pads are a little easier on your fingers), which has all you need for fiddling around with synth parameters and such.

Ideally, though, nothing beats a good hardware synth, IMO! Especially if it's an analog synth.
navigateur

Postby jacques » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm

navigateur wrote:Hey guys, new to the forum, and would have to agree with jlewin!

There are a TON of free VST (virtual studio technology) synthesizers out there that replicate a lot of the famous synths you hear on a lot of recordings these days (Roland Juno, Moog Minimoog, etc). In my opinion, I would hold off on buying a MicroKorg, and maybe look into getting a small MIDI Keyboard off of eBay or something. Depending on what you want you could get a nice 25 key controller like the Akai MPK25 or M-Audio Axiom (the Axioms are even cheaper than the Akais and the pads are a little easier on your fingers), which has all you need for fiddling around with synth parameters and such.

Ideally, though, nothing beats a good hardware synth, IMO! Especially if it's an analog synth.

Definitely. There's so much free stuff available, but it's easy to load up on a bunch of garbage, too.

Start by learning everything you can do in your DAW. I started out with a $100 Casio home keyboard. As long as it's got MIDI out on it, you can get a cable and hook it into your computer. I've got a USB MIDI box and just plug my keyboard into that, but nowadays you can get USB to MIDI cables or just get a controller that plugs right into your computer.
jacques

Return to Synth Talk