Rack Effects

Anything to do with synths and other electronic music hardware.

Rack Effects

Postby hyden » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:11 am

Hey guys im pretty inexperienced in any music hardware, ive been using ableton for most of my stuff and i want to switch over to hardware effects and synths, i feel like it would make it even more enjoyable then it already is, and teach me more about synths ect. ive looked around but I honestly have no idea what im looking for, i mean i know what a equalizer would do but i dont really know what brands to look for or models or any of that, anyways it would be awesome if you guys could suggest some effects and synths and tell me where i could get said items. thanks guys :)
hyden

Re: Rack Effects

Postby jlewin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:40 am

hyden wrote:Hey guys im pretty inexperienced in any music hardware, ive been using ableton for most of my stuff and i want to switch over to hardware effects and synths, i feel like it would make it even more enjoyable then it already is, and teach me more about synths ect. ive looked around but I honestly have no idea what im looking for, i mean i know what a equalizer would do but i dont really know what brands to look for or models or any of that, anyways it would be awesome if you guys could suggest some effects and synths and tell me where i could get said items. thanks guys :)

What sort of music are you doing?

The most important hardware you can get to start out with is probably a decent set of monitors. KRK makes a good line at a variety of budget levels. You get what you pay for with monitors, and without good monitors you don't know what your music is going to sound like.

Next up would probably to look at how you're getting sounds into Ableton - upgrading your audio interface and looking at better gear for capturing audio - mics, compressors, etc.
When I'm not in the forum, I'm listening to Electronic music, especially techno music.
jlewin
Site Admin

Postby hyden » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:51 am

i usually just make my sounds with digital synths, like massive and others, and i do a variety of electronic music for fun, like anything from deadmau5 to the bloody beetroots kinda stuff,
hyden

Postby jlewin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:11 am

hyden wrote:i usually just make my sounds with digital synths, like massive and others, and i do a variety of electronic music for fun, like anything from deadmau5 to the bloody beetroots kinda stuff,

Definitely go for good monitors first, then. Not especially sexy, like a synth might be, but at least you'll know what your music really sounds like.
When I'm not in the forum, I'm listening to Electronic music, especially techno music.
jlewin
Site Admin

Postby hyden » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks for the advice guys :)
hyden

Return to Electronic Music Hardware