Doepfer has announced that it will be introducing a DIY Synth Kit at the 2010 Winter NAMM Show.
The kit is made of a pc board that includes all that is necessary to build a standard analog synthesizer:
- VCO: sawtooth and rectangle output (with variable pulse width), several frequency CV inputs, several PW/PWM CV inputs, linear FM input, hard sync input
- VCF: multimode filter, lowp, highp and bandpass output (optional low-notch-highpass with external potentiometer), 12dB/oct, several frequency CV inputs, several audio inputs, manual resonance control, resonance up to self oscillation
- VCA: exponential control scale, several CV inputs , several audio inputs , audio output
- ADSR: connections for attack, decay, sustain and release controls, connections for range switch (3 ranges), connections for LED display, ADSR output
- LFO: triangle and rectangle outputs, connections for frequency control (optional different controls for up/down time), connection for range switch (3 ranges), connections for LED display
- Slew Limiter: connections for slew control, input, output Inverter: input, output
The kit is planned for customers who are familiar with electronic basics as the kit does not include the controls, switches, sockets and the case. These elements have to be added and wired by the customer.
You can choose the desired size, shape, type and color of these elements (e.g. rotary potentiometers or faders, small 3.5 mm jack sockets or 1?4″ sockets or banana type, small or large switches and so on). Even the type of wiring is open: the range goes from a pre-wired standard synth (VCO-VCF-VCA type) up to a fully patchable modular system.
Two or more of the kits can be combined to obtain more VCOs, ADSRs, LFOs, VCAs or VCFs, e.g. to built a more complex pre-wired or modular synth.
Doepfer is also considering an expansion board with noise generator, S&H, ring modulator, mixer and some other often used synthesizer units.
The pc boards comes assembled, tested and adjusted (i.e. 1V/oct of the corresponding VCO CV inputs).
Date of Delivery: ~ Spring 2010 Price: ~ Euro 100.00 (without controls, sockets, switches, cables, power supply and case)
Doepfer notes that this is for experienced builders and that “We ask for your understanding that we cannot offer the service to troubleshoot a customer’s assembly.”
Let me know what you think of the Doepfer DIY Synth Kit. Anyone else interested in seeing this in MOTM format?