Musikmesse 2010: Korg has introduced the PS60 Performance Synthesizer, a synth designed with live performance in mind.
While not as salaciously lubricious as some of the other new gear from Musikmesse, the Korg PS60 is designed to meet the demands of gigging musicians.
Korg PS60 Synthesizer Features:
- Instant access to six essential sound categories – Piano, E-Piano, Organ, Strings, Brass, and Synth
- 440 impeccably voiced, ready-to-play, sounds created by Korg’s renowned programmers
- Korg’s latest EDS-i (Enhanced Definition Synthesis – integrated) sound technology
- Create and save up to 20 split and layered “Performances”– on the fly
- Intuitive front panel layout with dedicated hardware controllers for frequently-used functions
- Nine dedicated knobs provide live control of the master modulation, reverb/delay, and EQ effects
- Free editing software allows the PS60 to run as a plug-in with your host DAW (AU, VST or RTAS)
- Great-feeling, responsive, semi-weighted 61-key Natural Touch keyboard
We haven’t seen final pricing and availability info from Korg on the PS60 yet.
Focused on the fundamental sounds for keyboard playing, the PS60 delivers 440 created using Korg’s EDS-i (Enhanced Definition Synthesis – integrated) sound engine.
The sounds are organized into six Categories: Piano, Electric Piano, Organ, Strings, Brass, and Synth.
Each category offers dedicated controls. The intuitive interface is designed to let you instantly layer up to six sounds, or make split settings at the touch of a button, creating sophisticated keyboard textures with ease. Up to 20 split/layered Performance settings can be created and saved for instant recall.
Any of 63 effects – including dynamics-type effects and amp modeling powered by Korg’s proprietary REMS technology – can be assigned to an individual sound using one of the five insert effects.
In addition, two master effects can be applied to the overall sound: a modulation-style effect offering four effect types, and a reverb/delay effect also with four effect types. A three-band EQ adds the final touch. The master effects and final EQ are selected and modified via dedicated hardware controls.
The PS60 uses Korg’s new Natural Touch keyboard, providing 61 full size semi-weighted keys to accommodate both the piano player and synthesist alike. Additional performance controls include a four-way joystick, octave up/down and transpose buttons, and a pair of footswitch/footpedal inputs for hands-free operation.
Sounds can be edited in greater detail by using the free PS60 Editor software. The PS60 can hold 512 Programs (440 are preloaded) and 20 Performance Settings (splits, layers, etc.). The Plug-In Editor offers all the same features, and allows the PS60 to be used as a plug-in synth from within any VST, Audio Units or RTAS-format DAW software system. As a librarian program, the software allows users to build up an enormous stash of sounds that have been created on a computer.